July 2 2014
PTVS 2.1 Beta 2 released!
These new features were added since the last preview release of PTVS 2.1:
Apr 7 2014
PTVS 2.1 Beta released!
2.1 Beta contains support for installation in VS Express for Web and Express for Desktop SKU's. Full release notes:
Feb 12 2014
PTVS 2.1 Alpha released!
2.1 Alpha contains support for Flask, Bottle, improved CSS/JS/HTML editing, PyLint and lots of improvements to the Azure Python SDK.
Oct 17 2013
PTVS 2.0 RTM Available!
The final release for 2.0 is now available for download. There were no feature changes between RC and RTM, only bug fixes. Release notes are available here at the bottom of the page:
We’d especially like to thank the following people who took the time to report issues send feedback and pull requests for this release:
akirkby, AlexSnowedIn, AngellusMortis, ArmedGuy, ask1987, atilev, bbusacker, bfcondon, bkilian, bveldkamp, chehsunliu, cpitcla, Crazometer, cvolzke, delind, denfromufa, detly, donre, Drmanac, gennadiy_d, golubdr, hfoffani, indra_k, jmfrank63, joxn, knakai,
MarkBerryman, mattme, meanim, mjklaim, mmclark, MRY92, mstampfer, nahnhnahk, noam0101, oldschool, ooplex, paweljasiniski, sharwell, shoejunk, Soldalma, soyiharu, spaun2002, stocksp, SuperKronos, Vilhelmenator, yazandiranieh.
10 Sep 2013
PTVS 2.0 RC Available
We’re pleased to announce the release of Python Tools for Visual Studio 2.0 RC!
Image: mixed Python / C++ debugging plus inline graphics in the REPL window
QUICK VIDEO OVERVIEW
For a quick overview of the general IDE experience, please watch this video:
CHANGES SINCE 2.0 BETA
1) Many bug fixes. Please see this link for full list:
2) Performance improvements: for example Project load times.
3) Intellisense improvements, especially for packages with compiled modules such as numpy and PyQt
CHANGES SINCE 1.5 RTM
There are a number of exciting improvements in this release compared to 1.5RTM, many based on your feedback & suggestions. Here’s a summary:
• New - Mixed-mode debugging for Python and C++:
• Remote cross-OS debugging for Windows, Linux and MacOS:
• New – “Python Environments”: Please refer to the documentation or this video for an overview:http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=L1bk7t9YDkE
• Virtual Env support: easily and quickly create silo’d environments for installing packages in your project.
• Associate different environments with your Project and quickly switch between them.
• Various Intellisense improvements. Please refer to the documentation or this video for an overview:http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=TFxRSV9cucM
• New reformat code command
• Publish Django applications to Windows Azure Web Sites – in addition to the already existing publish to Cloud Service you can now quickly publish a site to Windows Azure Web Sites.http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=S7A7VNnsA_8
• Various bug fixes to the Azure SDK for Windows, Linux and MacOS.
• New - Survey/News feature. This experimental feature will periodically push News items such as “We just posted a new video on Python Debugging: <link>”, or mini surveys such as “Which version of Python do you use most often?”.
You are in full control of this feature and can turn it off permanently. No user identifiable information is collected.
• New - Starting with VS2013, we’re happy to announce that PTVS is “in the box”. This means when you install Visual Studio, there is a an existing “Python” download link which will direct you to the latest PTVS installer.
• Various other smaller improvements
New “PTVS Integrated” package
• If you don’t have VS already, you can install PTVS and VS with a single click using the “Integrated” packaged. This gives you a complete and perpetually free Python IDE based on VS 2013.
For a list of known issues for this release, please see each feature's docs.
We’d like to thank the following people who took the time to report the issues and feedback for this release:
akirkby, AngellusMortis, aperception, ardakkolcak, ArmedGuy, ArtScott, atilev, azapotylok, bbusacker, bde_fft, bfcondon, bkilian, bosmart, bveldkamp, cfu, cpitcla, Crazometer, cvolzke, d2walter, delind, denfromufa, detly, Drmanac, fwkz, gennadiy_d, golubdr,
indra_k, jamescoder, JandalDoe, jmfrank63, joxn, MarkBerryman, mattme, mcdevitts, meanim, miloslavbeno, mmclark, mstampfer, newfound, Nirmal4G, noam0101, ooplex, pasmocko, paweljasiniski, salbright, shoejunk, soyiharu, spaun2002, SuperKronos, tffung, VadimC,
And the following devs who sent us pull requests:
donre, nahnhnahk, sharwell, Vilhelmenator.
10 May 2013
PTVS 2.0 Beta
The PTVS team is currently heads down on the 2.0 Beta release features & bug fixes. Please take a few minutes to file any bugs you have with 1.5RTM or 2.0Alpha to help us prioritize resources.
PTVS 2.0 Beta is currently scheduled for public release in early July.
Here’s a partial list of the items we’re working on:
- Lots of bug fixes of course…
- Mixed-mode debug: debug Python/C/C++ together
- Vastly improved intellisense
- Azure SDK update
- wfastcgi update
- Remote debug on Linux/OSX/Windows from PTVS
- Vastly improved “Interpreters” window
- Virtual Env support
- Various smaller features
Note: during the next few weeks, you’ll see a lot of bugs filed – don’t panic – these are against 2.0 Beta internal builds