Python 3.4 environment Does not use a completion DB

Jan 29, 2015 at 7:57 AM
I recently setup visual studio community 2013 and python tools. My issue is that while the primary python environment does create the completion db, the python 3.4 virutal env that I have setup does not even start one. I just get "Does not use a Completion DB" as show in the linked image here:

So none of my packages from that environment are auto completing. I cannot seem to find a way to generate a completion db. I would like to if possible so I do not have ot install packages in the global site-packages.

Jan 29, 2015 at 1:40 PM
You'll probably run into all sorts of issues configuring a virtual environment like that. We've designed or support for then around the idea that they'll be associated with a project. So when you have a project open, you can right click Python Environments and add your existing env (or add a new one for each project, which is the usual approach).

If you really want a shared location for multiple projects, you're probably best just to copy the entire Python directory somewhere else and configure that one. Soon we will have better support for the user site-packages folder, but right now both is and Python assume that everyone is willing to install into global packages or a project-specific environment.
Jan 29, 2015 at 5:18 PM

Well the virtual environment is supposed to be for just this project. The global python environment was automatically added when I created the project. Although the environment I have was an already existing environment if that makes a difference. I did not have visual studio create it.

I will try to remove them and add a new one.

Jan 29, 2015 at 8:32 PM
It doesn't matter how it was created - VS will just call virtualenv or venv and let it do the work. What matters is whether you add it through a project (best) or through Tools-Options (not best). We treat these differently, and the latter doesn't expect to have to handle virtual environments