Interactive Console (preferably IPython) while in debug

Dec 18, 2013 at 5:20 PM
Hi guys,

Just wanted to let you know that the 2.0 version looks great on the vids. To determine whether i should stop all my work and install it, I need to know whether an interactive console in debug mode is implemented. Im doing scientific programming and my data structures are quit complex, So I need a console (preferably IPyhton) to examine efficiently local variables while im in breakpoint.

Crossing my fingers... :)
Coordinator
Dec 18, 2013 at 5:44 PM
There is an interactive REPL during debugging:
https://pytools.codeplex.com/wikipage?title=Features%20Debugging#the-debug-interactive-window

Unfortunately, it doesn't yet have IPython integration.
Dec 19, 2013 at 6:39 AM
Good enough :) Thanks guys, that looks very promising!
Dec 25, 2013 at 11:01 AM
Hi,

Is there a "send to debug interactive" shourtcut?
Coordinator
Dec 25, 2013 at 9:14 PM
There's no command or shortcut for that, since it isn't really the intended use. Can you explain what you are trying to do in detail? It will help us understand how the feature is being used and we may be able to give you an alternative approach.
Dec 30, 2013 at 2:54 PM
few use cases:
  1. simply watch values of variables (and edit them with ease) it's easier to mark some code and send it to interactive then to copy-paste it.
  2. examine a line of code before it is being executed because:
    a. You want to see that the line is valid
    b. You want to examine the result and some of its properties in greater depth and you are not sure the line is valid.
    c. you already got an exception, but you do want to continue testing the following lines of the code one by one, to fix all errors at once.
Those just from the top of my head.