Question on Installing the Intepreter

Sep 20, 2013 at 2:47 PM
Can I just check, that when installing an interpreter, you have to to choose one OR the other?

I'm currently learning Python via IDLE (as my first language), so I'd need to use just one of these interpreters mentioned on the set-up page?

And can I ask how a distributed package works? Do they complement the interpreters or override then?

Thanks,
Steven
Coordinator
Sep 20, 2013 at 5:33 PM
Hi Steven

We've done a lot of work to make sure that you can install as many interpreters as you like. When you look in the Environments Window (Ctrl+K-Ctrl+`) you'll see all the ones we've detected.

When you're working with a project, you can only be using one environment at a time. Since the one you're using will affect the syntax of the language and the libraries you can use, we encourage you to choose one and associate it with your project. Of course, you can have more than one listed in each project, but only one can be active at a time.

Distributions (I assume you're talking about packages like Canopy and Anaconda) usually include an interpreter, even though it's probably the same as regular CPython from python.org. Some of them will pretend to be normal CPython, and we will detect those (and just display "Python 2.7" or similar) - it's best not to install the same version from python.org in this case. However, the trend is to not do this, so many distributions will need to be added manually.

Our documentation page for this is Python Environments, which has specific instructions. Let us know if you have any more questions.