PTVS overview

Sep 18, 2013 at 3:01 PM
Edited Sep 18, 2013 at 3:02 PM
Hi all,

I am new to PTVS and I am wondering for comercial use:
  • Can I install the newest version of PTVS on Visual Studio 2012 Express(private use) ? What versions of VS supports PTVS (commercial use) ?
  • is PTVS is suppose to be completly free product ? so if one pay for VS it could get it for free ? if not how much is roughly going to cost ?
  • Can one expect with PTVS to have also Subversion Control ?
Best regards,
Sep 18, 2013 at 3:06 PM
Edited Sep 18, 2013 at 3:12 PM
  • no. VS Express editions dont allow plug-ins. however, you can install the "Integrated" version which gives you the same thing. see the Installation page. i dont believe there's any restriction on commercial use.
  • yes. if you have VS, you can install PTVS into it for free. if you dont have VS, install the Integrated pkg and it comes with VS (both free).
  • various 3rd party source control add-ins can be installed in VS: git, Hg, ...
Sep 18, 2013 at 3:39 PM
Edited Sep 18, 2013 at 3:39 PM
Thanks a lot,
I have additional quations:
  • if i get it right "Visual Studio Shell (Integrated) 2012" have the same Debugger features as commercial "Visual Studio Professional 2012" ?
  • does the latest PTVS run on "Visual Studio Shell (Integrated) 2012" ? or it has to be VS 2013 RC ?
  • if one install Integrated pkg it get VS + PTVS for free, right ? and in this combination it could be used for commercial purposes, so how Microsoft earn from those two very good projects ?
best regards,
Sep 18, 2013 at 3:54 PM
  • correct, full debugger. you dont get the profiler, which requires the full VS.
  • PTVS Integrated (2.0 RC) is available for 2013.
  • right. same way VS Express editions are free. the industry trend is to give tools (at least base tools) away for free & benefit from downstream effects (services, etc. like azure signups, upgrade to higher level sku's, ...)
Sep 18, 2013 at 5:36 PM
Edited Sep 18, 2013 at 5:38 PM
You also don't get unit testing in VS Shell, and yes, it must be VS 2013 Shell. We don't support earlier versions of the shell any more.
Sep 18, 2013 at 7:11 PM
Thanks to both of you,

what are the rumor when will VS 2013 (not Shell and not RC) will be released ?

Sep 18, 2013 at 8:40 PM
PTVS will be released sometime this fall. PTVS 2.0 RTM isn't strictly tied to VS release, but we'll try to release them together. The RC bits are relatively close to RTM.
Sep 18, 2013 at 8:53 PM
Could you comment on "The RC bits are relatively close to RTM" I am not familiar with those abbriviations.
Does it mean that binary file of one will be similar to the other ?
Sep 18, 2013 at 8:57 PM
RC: release candidate (essentially a final release candidate)

RTM: Release To Manufacturing (final release).

RC bits being close to RTM means that the features that the RC bits have are pretty close to what the RTM version will have. ie, we're only fixing critical bugs now & not adding any features.
Sep 19, 2013 at 9:19 AM
That was really helpfull.
Thanks a lot !