Form designer Editor

Aug 7, 2013 at 3:54 AM
The project PTVS already has form designer GUI?
Aug 7, 2013 at 4:04 AM
It does, but it is limited to WPF (and therefore IronPython). There is a project template for IronPython WPF Application in the usual place.

We don't have anything specific for other frameworks. That said, if you use Qt (with either PyQt or PySide), then you can use Qt Designer for .ui files, though it will launch as an external app.
Aug 7, 2013 at 4:35 PM
Very Strange! A project in the MS platform does not have a form editor GUI.

Aug 7, 2013 at 4:48 PM
Keep in mind that the project is about providing an IDE for a non-Microsoft language/framework. This is made even more complicated by the fact that there really isn't a single standard, agreed-upon UI framework for it. Popular choices include Tk, wxWidgets, PyQt/PySide... and you can't make a single form editor that would be universal and work regardless of the framework.

In addition, making a GUI designer from scratch is a considerable amount of work. In case of WPF, we were able to reuse the existing form designer in VS, but e.g. for wxWidgets we won't have such an option.

This isn't to say that it's something that will never happen, but it has to be prioritized against all the other feature requests that we have. Please open a feature request in our issue tracker for the specific framework that you're interested in.
Aug 7, 2013 at 6:56 PM
I think differently! With a good editor forms the community IronPython/PTVS win over developers who want to use Python and develop GUI applications.

I'll create an issue.

Thank you.
Aug 7, 2013 at 7:15 PM
As noted above, we do have a visual editor for IronPython and WPF. It's the regular Python (wxWidgets, PyQt etc) side that is lacking.
Aug 8, 2013 at 10:57 PM
I would like to form editor for "Windows Forms Applications".
Aug 9, 2013 at 2:40 AM
There's a feature request for windows forms designer support, with some insights on why we don't have the feature already...