Mixed Mode debugging

Jul 28, 2013 at 4:34 AM

I followed the directions at https://pytools.codeplex.com/wikipage?title=Mixed-mode%20debugging, but there are still many things unclear to me.

1) How do I choose between debug and release built DLL? It seems that I have to hard-code paths. Ideally, it would be nice to add MACROS like $(Configuration), etc. I have the same DLL in different directories.
2) In addition to the PYTHONPATH search paths, I think I need to also specify different folders to modify PATH. This is needed so that windows can load up 3rd party DLLs that might be dependencies for C++ DLL I wrote.
3) The ability to modify PATH variable dependent on the Debug/Release (like #1)

Jul 28, 2013 at 6:04 PM
We do not currently support per-configuration settings for Python projects - and yes, as I have discovered as well, it is a pain when developing mixed-language apps since, at the minimum, you need search path to differ. There is a bug tracking this:

Please vote for it, and add any other scenarios that would benefit from this (and what options they need) in the comments.

We have mainly focused on pure debugging experience so far, as opposed to authoring of native extensions modules and apps involving them, but we are definitely looking at addressing the latter in future releases.

For the time being, the workaround that I have been using is to create several Python project files for the same code files - they can even all be placed in the same directory (you can just create the first one manually, and then copy & rename it).