How can i release desktop app by using PVTS & PyQt?

Jun 27, 2013 at 4:40 AM
Edited Jun 27, 2013 at 4:45 AM
Hi Guys,

First of all, thank you guys for your great works. PTVS is a amazing python IDE!

I was able to run my PyQt4 desktop app based on PTVS & VS2012 perfectly well.
After i registered as a Windows Store developer, i am wondering that is it possible to submit my desktop app to Windows store by using PTVS & VS2012?

If it is possible, then could someone tell me how to package my desktop app by using PTVS & VS2012? And how to upload the packed app to Windows store?

From what i read so far, submiting app to Windows Store should be proceed in VisualStudio.
But I searched a lot on Microsoft website, i saw there is no information related to package python desktop app(specificly for PyQt4 of my app) and submitting stuff.

Has someone done that before? Any comments would be warmly appreciated.
Jun 27, 2013 at 4:42 AM
Sorry for the typo: PVTS --> PTVS.
Jun 27, 2013 at 3:36 PM
You'll get a much better response from the Windows Store forum - desktop apps are a special case that don't require VS support (but I believe you do need your own website that they can link to).

Windows Store Apps (that will run on an ARM PC) are not supported for Python right now, and probably won't ever support PyQt. You're basically stuck in the desktop/Windows 7 world for now, sorry.
Jun 28, 2013 at 5:10 PM
Thank you for your anwser, Zooba.

Yes, i currently developed this app for desktop only, NOT for ARM-based devices.

So basically, it just a normal PC desktop app, but wrote in Python+PyQt4.
What i want is just to distribute my desktop app to Windows Store, to let the PC guys find, download and use.

As i know, after Windows 8 released, Windows Store will be the prefered way to distribute apps, even for desktop apps, right?
After all, there are still many people use PC not just mobile devices.

And again, what i want is to avoid develop my already finished app again by using some other launguage(C++/C#...) other than Python/PyQt4.

So i was looking for a way to pack & upload this PyQt4 desktop app to the Windows Store.
(As i know, they were many tools like py2exe, cx_Freeze, pyinstaller can pack Python source file to exe file, which might help?)

After i digged again, i got the impression that Microsoft ask developer to pack their app to a specific format: *.appx
And normally it can be created by Visual Studios if you're using C#/C++/Javascript..., but i use Python/PyQt4.

So i think i should create the package manually, maybe by command line?
Then found this page, Microsoft shipped a command line tool named "MakeAppx.exe" with Visual Studio.

By using this tool, i think it might be possible to create a *.appx package from my Python/PyQt4 source files?

As my English is poor, but i try my best to tell you guys what i want.
So, as above, do you think it's a possible way achieve what i want?

Many thanks.
Jun 28, 2013 at 5:13 PM
Sorry, forgot the link of the web page:

Any comments would be appreciated.
Jun 28, 2013 at 5:24 PM
Listing a desktop app in Windows Store does not involve submitting the actual app. You still need to have your own website where you provide the download link. The listing in Windows Store will then provide a link to that website along with the description and screenshots of your app. The following blog post details the process:

Consequently, you don't need to package your app in any special way. AppX is a package format specifically for Windows Store (non-desktop) apps.