Integration with IPython

Jun 20, 2013 at 9:36 AM
Hi all,

Im considering coming back to use PTVS, but im wondering about the quality of integration with IPython, since it is my main usage.. what i need is:
  1. Being able to stop with debugger and use an IPython interpter which knows the local variables and able to manipulate them while stopped in a breaking point.
Can you do that?

Thanks!
Coordinator
Jun 20, 2013 at 7:06 PM
By "IPython" do you mean IronPython (the .NET Python interpreter) or IPython (the interactive shell)?

You can certainly debug either of these, though I don't know that debugging IPython is a common usage. The ability to change variables may be limited in some situations while debugging, but you can inspect everything.

You said "coming back" - we've supported these features for a long time, so why exactly did you leave? It may or may not have improved...
Coordinator
Jun 20, 2013 at 7:09 PM
I think he means he wants to use IPython in Debug REPL mode?
Jun 20, 2013 at 7:15 PM
What Ptools said.

I want to stop in dubug mode, and use an ipython engine as my "Python debug Interactive" tool. so I can use ipython to say, plot or hist some environment variables. this was not possible 6 month ago.. :)
Coordinator
Jun 20, 2013 at 7:27 PM
Well, I don't think we've changed anything to improve this if it wasn't good enough back then. You should be able to import pylab and use it, but there's no way to change the mode of Debug Interactive like you can for other Interactive windows.
Coordinator
Jun 20, 2013 at 8:42 PM
idoda, can you please file a feature request? we can then look at it & see what it takes to bring the IPython + debug interactive worlds together. thx.