BlobService list_blobs does not return marker even with partial results

May 28, 2013 at 4:48 PM
I'm trying to retrieve blobs from a container which has very large number of blobs. I'm not able to get the complete list as the list_blobs returns only partial results with 5000 blobs at a time.

Though the interface suggest that I can use a marker to get the remaining results, I'm not getting anything returned in the marker field of the results!
  1. Has anyone attempted this scenario successfully?
  2. Is there a way to get hierarchical listing using the python interface?
  3. I also couldn't find the watermark in the interface. Is there any plan to support watermark based listing of blobs?
May 28, 2013 at 5:29 PM
Hi Chirag,
  1. Please have a look at test_list_blobs_with_maxresults_and_marker in
  2. There isn't. You can use the prefix parameter the list. See 'traversing the blob namespace':
It looks like there is a delimiter parameter that can be passed to the REST API which would help with recreating a hierarchy, but it we don't support that parameter:
  1. Do you have more info on this? Is this exposed by the REST API?
May 28, 2013 at 6:01 PM
Thanks huguesv for the reply. It seems I was was using wrong field 'marker'! The test you referred is using next_marker field; I think it will work now, I'll try the same.

For question-3 I don't think it's supported; I built the logic for my program recently. I think it will be a good addition though. :)

Thanks again
Jul 26, 2013 at 6:53 PM
Hi Chirag,

I just wanted to inform you that v0.7 of he azure SDK is available on PyPI. You can now get a hierarchical listing of blobs using the new 'demiliter' parameter. See test_list_blobs_with_prefix_and_delimiter at for example of usage.