Step into debugging won't work

May 2, 2013 at 11:42 AM
Edited May 2, 2013 at 11:54 AM
Hi,

I have installed Alpha 2.0 and I can't get "step into"(f11) debugging to work. Here is more info:
  • I have a Python project and setting breakpoint in the file works.
  • When debugging(f5) it stops on breakpoint but when I hit f11 it just continue instead of going to next command.
  • If I add a second breakpoint after the first one it ignores it after hitting f11 on the first one.
  • If I open a simple single python file and hit "Debug as Script" it works. I can step into.
  • Debugging in a C# project works.
Anyone experienced something similar and have a solution?

Update: I created a new project with same file as mentioned "simple single python file" and running this normal (f5) it hangs on the popup console when it is about to start where you can see "c:\Python33\python.exe" in the title. Maybe it is somehow related.

Thanks,
Marius
Coordinator
May 2, 2013 at 4:25 PM
Hi MrLian

Can you share the code that you're using? If you don't want to post it publicly, you can email it to ptvshelp@microsoft.com (include a link to this post so we know it's yours). Also let us know where you're setting the breakpoints.

We'll also look into the second issue. The difference between F5 and Debug as Script may mean we have quite an obscure bug on our hands...
May 6, 2013 at 10:49 PM
Edited May 6, 2013 at 10:50 PM
I have similar problem in that I can't step through installed site-packages (BeautifulSoup, mechanize, etc).

I can step into/over my own code, but can't seem to able to step into BeautifulSoup, mechanize, etc.

If I set a breakpoint in those one of those modules they are ignored when I am stepping in my own code that calls them. If I hit <F5> the breakpoint is hit but as soon as I try to step I am immediately back in my own code.

The relative eggs are in my project's search path:

F:\Python27\Lib\site-packages\mechanize-0.2.5-py2.7.egg;\Python27\Lib\site-packages\beautifulsoup4-4.1.3-py2.7.egg

Windows 7 64bit, VS2012 Update 2, PTVS 2.0 Alpha
beautifulsoup4-4.1.3-py2.7.egg
mechanize-0.2.5-py2.7.egg
ActivePython 2.7.2.5 (ActiveState Software Inc.) based on
Python 2.7.2 (default, Jun 24 2011, 12:22:14) [MSC v.1500 64 bit (AMD64)] on win3
Coordinator
May 6, 2013 at 10:57 PM
There is an option under Tools->Python Tools->Advanced to 'Enable debugging of the Python standard library', which should let you step through those packages.

You shouldn't have to add those directories to your search path either, assuming F:\Python27 is where python.exe lives - we pick up site-packages automatically (and so does Python). It's just directories elsewhere that need to be specially included.
May 7, 2013 at 12:09 AM
A
h, okay. It works great now that I changed that option.Thanks.