setup and use with activestate python 2.4

Apr 17, 2013 at 3:58 PM
I am totally new to this so forgive me if I do not make sense. I have active states python 2.4 installed and wanted to use VS to debug my scripts. What are the correct parameters to set this up or do I still have to install IPython or CPython to use?

Thanks....
Coordinator
Apr 17, 2013 at 6:09 PM
Unfortunately we don't really support Python 2.4 anymore, Python 2.5 is the minimal version. That being said you might find that it works, but you might run into issues as it's not tested. If there are issues we're probably not going to fix them.

If you still want to give it a shot you can go to Tools->Options->Python Tools->Interpreter Options and manually add your Python interpreter there. You can then set it as your default interpreter, or set it as the interpreter in project properties for a new project.

Then you can hit F5 and see whether or not it works. There's a possibility that the debugger script has some 2.5isms that have slipped into it. If it does you can always try fixing the debugger script, it's just a Python script (visualstudio_py_debugger.py) which lives in the PTVS installation directory (https://pytools.codeplex.com/wikipage?title=Where%20is%20PTVS%20installed%3f&version=2).