No project templates in visual studio 2012 integrated shell

Apr 8, 2013 at 7:28 PM
I've installed PTVS 2.0 alpha into integrated shell, I also have VS Express with Update 2 if that matters.

When I click "File\New File" the only python project type available is django project.

Is this expected limitation of VS Shell ?
Coordinator
Apr 8, 2013 at 7:46 PM
hi,

yes, express editions can't have plug-ins, but you can use the integrated/isolated shell to achieve the same result. please see the "Installation" section in documentation.

thx.
Apr 8, 2013 at 7:47 PM
That's what I did - see above.
Coordinator
Apr 8, 2013 at 7:57 PM
oops, sorry my bad. just saw it flash by & assumed without reading the whole post.

is this on 2010 or 2012? have you installed an interpreter?
Apr 8, 2013 at 8:00 PM
It's VS2012 (see title ;-) I have CPython, do I also need IronPython for console projects ?
Apr 8, 2013 at 8:03 PM
Installing IronPython didn't help.
Coordinator
Apr 8, 2013 at 8:06 PM
i am clearly blind today :). no, any interpreter should've been enough. just to confirm:
  1. starting w no VS
  2. installed an interpreter
  3. installed isolated shell (2012)
  4. installed integrated shell (2012)
  5. installed PTVS 2.0 alpha (2012)
and when you go to Interpreter Options you see your interpreter showing there?
Apr 8, 2013 at 8:09 PM
Yes, everything works perfectly - I can open and edit individual files. I just can't create new project.
Coordinator
Apr 8, 2013 at 8:13 PM
this is definitely one of the configs we tested before shipping. will have to set up a VM & try out.

also, which OS?
Apr 8, 2013 at 8:14 PM
Win7/x64
Apr 8, 2013 at 8:38 PM
It works!

There is no way to create solution in integrated shell but once it is created in VS Express, it can be opened in shell and new projects can be created from solution's context menu.
Apr 8, 2013 at 8:43 PM
Another way without having to use VS Express: "View \ Start Page" and then "New project..".
Coordinator
Apr 8, 2013 at 9:30 PM
Do you remember which settings profile you selected when you first ran VS Express? I believe one of the profiles will hide the New Project menu, and this may have affected the integrated shell as well.

Tools->Import and Export Settings will let you reset to a new profile, though it is entirely possible that you cannot have separate profiles for VS Express and the shells.
Apr 8, 2013 at 9:51 PM
It doesn't seem related to VS Express profile - I definitely have New Project there, but it seems that you are right that this depends on settings.

I've performed settings reset and was given choice of one of 3 profiles (F#, Project Management, SQL Server Development). I had initially installed Isolated shell for TFS and its Project Management profile hid a lot of functionality.

Thanks for help.