Basic Google App Engine Question

May 12, 2012 at 10:29 PM

I'm trying to get a basic google app engine project running in PTVS. 

I have my solution files: app.yaml & main.py -- these are working when I fire up GAE outside of VS. 

I pulled dev_appserver.py into my project and made it the startup file.  I'm getting exceptions at this point and am bascically stuck. 

The way GAE normally runs is: dev_appserver.py <proj folder>

What is the right way to set these?  Do I need to set referances for GAE?

Help much appreciated and I love PTVS!!!

Coordinator
May 12, 2012 at 11:40 PM
ZBB, check the video on youtube about using PTVS with GAE.

Painstakingly typed with my fat fingers on a tiny keyboard

On May 12, 2012, at 2:29 PM, "zBrainbug" <notifications@codeplex.com> wrote:

I'm trying to get a basic google app engine project running in PTVS.

I have my solution files: app.yaml & main.py -- these are working when I fire up GAE outside of VS.

I pulled dev_appserver.py into my project and made it the startup file. I'm getting exceptions at this point and am bascically stuck.

The way GAE normally runs is: dev_appserver.py <proj folder>

What is the right way to set these? Do I need to set referances for GAE?

Help much appreciated and I love PTVS!!!

May 13, 2012 at 12:01 AM

Yes I did check that out.  That video covers Django and I'm not using that framework for my app.  I must be thick but I can't workout how to startup using basic GAE.  I assume I need to pull in dev_appserver.py but don't seem to be setting the referances for this correctly. I also can't figure out where to set the directory for my app.  Sorry to be a pain but I'm new at this...

Coordinator
May 13, 2012 at 6:36 PM

I haven't setup GAE my self, but my guess is you just need to set the current working directory appropriately.  You can right click on the project node in Solution Explorer and go into properties and set it manually.  Set it to wherever you are when you normally run dev_appserver.py and hopefully it'll work.