Building 1.5 from source

May 10, 2012 at 1:00 AM

Just wondering what the new pre-reqs are for building the latest commits from source?

The (first) error message I get is not being able to find "%ProgramFiles%\MSBuild\Microsoft\VisualStudio\v10.0\WebApplications\Microsoft.WebApplication.targets"

I'm guessing it's another SDK that I don't have. Also, I hope these are only pre-reqs on building and not every installation, though I guess we'll find out with the release.

May 10, 2012 at 1:30 AM

Install pre-reqs haven't changed.  The new Django feature will need some additional dependencies but it's optional and factored out from the rest of the PTVS code base (and is installed by default).

For building you at least the need Windows Azure Tools for VS and I think the WebApplication targets should be something ASP.NET related, although I'm not quite certain what.

I think I'm going to spend the time to update the build so we can build a minimal build w/ minimal dependencies and light up when additional features are available - it's getting to be a bit too much to install.  Just need to get the time!

May 10, 2012 at 9:31 PM

Maybe it's because I didn't install the web developer part of VS2010... the Azure Tools installer insists that it needs to include VWD Express.

I hear there's some rearchitecturing work in the pipeline anyway, so probably a more feature-based approach to building would be part of that? (Not sure what you've got in mind, but I can think of a few ways to make it work nicely.)

Everything is looking good for me to start on time (early July), but I'm full of free time now, so once I can get builds going I can help out.

May 10, 2012 at 9:54 PM

There shouldn't really be any re-architecting going on in general (or at least not that I'm familiar with :) ) but what I was thinking of doing was making it so when you build the installer we detect the pre-reqs and exclude anything that's not installed.  That should result in an experience where you can open the project in VS and unload solutions you don't care about and then can still build the MSI w/ just the features you care about.

See you in july, it'll be great to have you back!

May 10, 2012 at 10:09 PM

Maybe I heard ambitions rather than plans. I would love to see AnalysisTest broken up at least, since that can't be built without building Django support. Plus things are going to get messy/fun when we try and provide some localization support (that's still on the cards, right? I'll be championing it).

Possibly just a "PythonToolsInstaller.msi"-only script would be fine here (or separate scripts for each part?). I don't think enough people are trying to build installers to justify the time spent adding auto-detection, but being able to easily exclude major components is worthwhile.

Are we at the point where things like Django support should be a separate MSI and we use an install package with a bootstrapper? (And put up the MSIs separately for those who need them.) This would also let us finally remove the elevation requirement for HKCU installs.