Search Path Peculiarity

May 2, 2012 at 1:51 PM

Hey there...PTVS 1.1.1 is very awesome by the way and very stable. I've really enjoyed using it.

Although I have an easy workaround for this, for some reason when I add search paths, PTVS (1.1.1) seems to ignore them.

The only thing that works reliably for me is to add those search paths to the sys.path in IronPython programmatically. Once added there, I can do AddReferenceByName just fine. I'm just adding relative search paths for projects that are in the same solution as my IronPython project, but it seems to be a general issue for me for any types of references.

Should the sys.path in IronPython reflect the search paths added in PTVS? Right now it does not appear that it does, at least for me. If the sys.path does not reflect the search path, is there something else I can access programmatically to see what PTVS is adding to help nail down what the issue might be?

Thanks again...

May 7, 2012 at 1:09 PM

Just a few more details on this...

For some reason when I add a new search path, it writes the absolute path in the PTVS project file and not the relative path. PTVS should be recording the relative paths in the project file just for the sake of source control and others checking out the PTVS project on their computers, correct? I figured this out when trying to share a PTVS project with another developer.

Again, this could be my issue...maybe I have something not configured correctly...

May 7, 2012 at 6:15 PM
This discussion has been copied to a work item. Click here to go to the work item and continue the discussion.
May 7, 2012 at 6:16 PM

Yes, we should be storing the search path as a relative path if we can.  There might be some cases where we can't (for example if the path was on a different drive than the project - therefore there's no relative path to the project), but otherwise it should be relative.