Failed to launch REPL process error message

Apr 25, 2012 at 8:20 PM

I am pretty new to Visual Studio, I have just installed VS2010 Integrated shell and decided to give it a try as an IDE for working with Python.

I had Python 2.7.2 installed on my machine, along with IPython 0.10.2 (from a Python distro), and and then installed Python Tools for Visual Studio. When I try to execute some simple code I get the following error message:

Python interactive window.

Type $help for a list of commands.

Resetting execution engine

Failed to launch REPL process

Exception AttributeError: AttributeError("'NoneType' object has no attribute 'platform'",) in <function _remove at 0x01D123B0>

Unhandled exception in thread started by <bound method BasicReplBackend._repl_loop of <__main__.BasicReplBackend object at 0x01C9DF90>> ignored

Traceback (most recent call last):  File "C:\Program Files\Microsoft Visual Studio 10.0\Common7\IDE\Extensions\Microsoft\Python Tools for Visual Studio\1.1\", line 135, in _repl_loop

close failed in file object destructor:sys.excepthook is missinglost sys.stderr

In the end I get the actual output of my code (some prints to see if the code is running). Any idea why I get this error message and how do I get rid of it?

Apr 25, 2012 at 10:24 PM

Have you customized in anyway or done something to make IPython the default?  If you start a normal interpreter in a console window and do:

import sys

Do you get something outputted or do you get an exception?

Also, to enable IPython in VS you'll need to go to Tools->Options->Python Tools->Interactive Windows, select Python 2.7, and make sure IPython mode is selected for the interactive mode.  Also you may need to install pyzmq, but I'm guessing we'll need to get you past this first exception either way.

May 12, 2012 at 2:19 PM

thank your for your fast reply. I did not have much time available since then to go through this issue (I am not a professional programmer) but I did find out that I needed to install the Python modules in Windows Vista as a machine administrator. Apparently the VS2010 Integrated Shell + PTVS1.1 now works ok most of the times although when I do a reset of the Python2.7 interactive window I still get error messages from time to time. I get the impression that they are related to a startup script but I do not know if it exists nor do I know where it is located.

Regretably, I have not been able to install IPython on my machine so far so I decided to drop it for the time being. I would like very much to use it both as a standalone application and inside VS2010 Integrated Shell. Got any clues as to how I can install it in Windows Vista? Apparently there is bug with the installer...