MPI on window 7

Apr 6, 2012 at 6:50 PM

I am trying use ptvs on my own 4-cores(8-threads) window7 64 bits computer. I read through the installation guide, and tried a lot of things. At first, I installed 
HPC Pack 2008 R2 MS-MPI Redistributable Package with Service Pack 3, SDK and client utility. Then a simple hello world program gave me error :"Invalid communicator". The MPI cluster I chose to use is local host. So I thought it was something wrong with it. Then I realized that if I use MSMPI, I have to install HPC 2008 r2 Express, which I cannot install it as headnode since I am not in a Active Directory domain. And I cannot install AD DS since I am not using Windows server 2008. 

My question is that is there any way I can use my own computer with windows 7 to use ptvs MPI? Does ptvs support MPICH2, and is there any method I can creater a "virtual cluster" on my own machine?

Apr 6, 2012 at 11:44 PM

We don't care too much about the MPI library that is being used.  We obviously have a lot of defaults which auto-discover for MSMPI but you should be able to override those.  In particular I think if you stay w/ localhost for the hostname and then override the mpiexec path (in the project->debug options for the HPC launcher) then we should be able to launch with an arbitrary MPI implementation.