Suggestions for Submitting Debug Information

Mar 23, 2012 at 4:31 PM

So I am starting to use PTVS for my day-to-day work, and I am loving it, but I am experiencing occasional "App Domain Unloaded" exceptions (which then knocks Intellisense out of commission for any Python code) and also (maybe once a day) a complete VS crash when I send highlighted code to the interactive window (which is what I do most often when debugging/unit testing since I have access via IronPython to debug after running.)

Do you have suggestions for how to setup my system to help you folks with debugging these issues and/or how to submit any debug information to you, or should I be using PTVS in a different way than I am using it above? I'm always open to suggestions there. :)

Thanks...

Russ Frizzell

Coordinator
Mar 23, 2012 at 5:55 PM

The app domain issue will be getting fixed in 2.7.1 which should be coming soon (we'll start the build next week and then just need to complete the release process). 

The send to interactive crash sounds new...  One way to help debug would be to start a 2nd copy and then do Debug->Attach to Process to the 1st copy.  You should then be able to continue working normally - when the crash happens it should break into the debugger and you can report the call stack back to us and hopefully that'll get us close enough to the issue we can fix it.  If you're breaking in on exceptions that aren't crashes you should configure the Debug->Exceptions window to not break on thrown or user-unhandled exceptions.

Mar 23, 2012 at 7:52 PM

I was able to get a dump file of the crash...obviously it is huge so I won't send it. :) It actually happens immediately after rebuilding the solution.

What I have done is used DebugDiag to produce a CrashHang report and I have attached that file to that earlier issue #678 we talked about. I know that issue is not really the same thing, but it gave me a place to attach a file easily. 

Hope that helps...

Russ Frizzell