IronPython and Form Designer

Sep 3, 2011 at 1:33 PM

IronPython-2.7.1-beta 2 and installed PythonTools 1.0. When I get up is the only code editor to create a Windows Form project. No form designer. Is this because of me or in the future to be added to this?

Editor
Sep 3, 2011 at 3:19 PM

There's no designer for Windows Forms.  There is a designer for WPF if you create a WPF project; would that serve your needs?

Sep 3, 2011 at 3:24 PM

Also work with WPF. Do you plan to add the new version?

Coordinator
Sep 8, 2011 at 4:51 AM

Not sure I understand the "Also work with WPF" comment.  But we don't have any immediate plans to add support for WinForms.  In particular working w/ the winforms designer is difficult because it expects to have strong type information which is difficult/very ugly to preserve in Python code.  We did do this w/ IronPython 1.x where we supported Winforms drag and drop in the VS SDK integration sample.  Someone could port that forward and contribute it though!

Nov 4, 2011 at 10:24 PM

I tend to use SharpDevelop as a Windows Forms designer. This works quite well. The solution and project files however appear to be incompatible with Python Tools for Visual Studio. I would however prefer to do all development from within Visual Studio.