PTVS 1.0 won't recognize IronPython 2.7

Aug 29, 2011 at 9:34 PM

Hi, I just downloaded the Python Tools for Visual Studio 1.0 and I am having trouble installing it.

First  PythonToolsForVS told me to uninstall the VisualStudio Plugin coming with IronPython2.7. I uninstalled it and was finally able to install the PythonToolsForVS 1.0.

I installed IronPython2.7 (IronPython colsoe tells me it is version: 2.7.0.40) but PythonToolsForVS won't find a python interpreter.

I figured that since the pytools wiki page says "Whether installed before or after PTVS, PTVS will pick up your Python Interpreter location automatically. You can further configure this from inside VS." it shoudl automatically find IronPython - but it didn't. How can I configure it properly?

Thanks for your help

Editor
Aug 29, 2011 at 11:34 PM

Thanks for reporting this to us.  I'll try to reproduce your issue here, but as a workaround to get unblocked you can add the interpreter yourself:

1. Go to: Tools->Options->Python Interpreter Options
  2. Click "Add Interpreter"
  3. Path should be the path to your IronPython installation's ipy.exe or ipy64.exe
  4. Windows path should be the path to your ipyw.exe or ipyw64.exe
  5. Architecture is x86 or x64 depending on whether you chose ipy or ipy64
  6. Language version is 2.7
  7. Path Environment Variable is IRONPYTHONPATH

Aug 30, 2011 at 6:40 PM

Thanks joxn!

I was able to configure with the settings you provided and it seems to work properly (as far as I, an IronPython newbie, can tell).

Aug 31, 2011 at 4:21 PM

Hi, I'm trying to use these tools for the first time, ever. I ran into the same issue i0bsen described and after following the steps of the sugested workaround I still see none of the project templates I used to have with IronPython 2.7 before, namely: WinForms Application, Silverlight Web Page and Wpf Application. What I did:

1.- Uninstalled IronPython 2.7 (released Mar 12 2011)

2.- Installed PTVS 1.0

3.- Re-installed IronPython 2.7

Should I be installing a newer (beta release) of IronPython instead?

I've got VS Ultimate (SP1) on Win7.

Thanks

Editor
Aug 31, 2011 at 4:38 PM

Explorador: For you, this might be expected behavior.  If IronPython is not installed then the default installation option is to leave the IronPython templates uninstalled.

1. Go to Tools->Python Tools and check to see if IronPython entries are present. Assuming they are,
  2. Rerun PythonToolsInstaller.msi, and select "Change"
  3. Enable IronPython support
  4. The templates should be available now.
Oct 6, 2011 at 3:44 PM

I'm also hitting this bug, I have CPython 2.7 and IronPython installed, but only CPython shows up.

Coordinator
Oct 6, 2011 at 6:09 PM

Do you have a

%ProgramFiles%\Microsoft Visual Studio 10.0\Common7\IDE\Extensions\Microsoft\VisualStudio\10.0\Extensions\Microsoft\IronPython Interpreter\1.0 or a

%LOCALAPPDATA%\Microsoft\VisualStudio\10.0\Extensions\Microsoft\IronPython Interpreter\1.0

Directory?  (The 1st path may need to be corrected if you're on a 64-bit machine or installed VS to the non-default location)

Just trying to figure out if the IronPython support got installed or not - by default it will be unchecked if you installed PTVS before installed IronPython.