I'm getting a "Visual Studio must be installed" msg but it is installed.

Jul 28, 2011 at 7:13 PM
Edited Jul 28, 2011 at 7:27 PM

I've been setting up a coupld of systems for Visual Studio 2010 development.  I'm using the trial version of VS 2010 professional.  I was able to install the latest Python tools but I noticed that the IronPython part didn't install on one of the machines.  When I try to re-run it I get this;

"Visual Studio must be installed. The free integrated shell can be downloaded at http://www.microsoft.com/downloads/en/deatails.aspx?FamilyID=8e5aa7b6-8436-43f0-b778-00c3bca733d3"

I've gotten this message a number of times on both machines.  Does anyone know what the install program is looking for to verify that VS 2010 is there?

I read the instructions and saw that you need IronPython installed so I downloaded and installed that.  I'm still getting the above message. I can't even do a repair.  Any clues would be appreciated.

Jul 31, 2011 at 9:48 AM

Are you sure that you have all prerequisites?

http://msdn.microsoft.com/en-us/library/7tx0bw8y.aspx

Jul 31, 2011 at 10:02 PM
I'm pretty sure I have all the prerequisites. I have Visual Studio Professional installed in its entirety. Getting the latest programs for the Visual Studio for Python and Ironpython installed is confusing.

I've got two programs to install; PythonToolInstaller.msi and IronPython-2.7.1-Beta1.msi. The IronPython install didn't install the PythonTools by default. At one point I got a message from the Ironpython installer that its version was older and that I should install the newer version from the python tools website. That's what I've been trying to do.

Since I couldn't install the latest tools from the web site, I installed them from the IronPython installer. That worked. I then tried to re-install the visual tools hoping that it would upgrade the version that I already had installed. It didn't. I still get the message that Visual Studio 2010 must be installed.

So what I have installed at this point is Visual Studio Pro 2010, IronPython 2.7.1 Beta 1 with its version of Python Tools for Visual Studio.

When I run VS2010, the only "Installed Template" for python is "Python Application".

I'm not sure how to proceed at this point. I could start over. I've wiped my development system and re-built it three times now but I keep running into different issues. Its not easy to un-install and re-install. I look at the add/remove programs and it's amazing how many things get installed for VS2010 and SQL Server Express. They don't all get uninstalled when you uninstall the main program so it's hard to start over without completely wiping the system. It's discouraging.
Coordinator
Aug 1, 2011 at 5:50 PM

Can you check if you have a registry key at:

HKLM\Software\Microsoft\VisualStudio\10.0\InstallDir ?

If you're on a 64-bit machine it'll be at:

HKLM\Software\Wow6423Node\Microsoft\VisualStudio\10.0\InstallDir ?

That's what we look at to make sure VS is installed.  Also - this is w/ RC1 of the tools? And you're getting the error message when you run the PythonToolsInstaller.msi?

Can you also go to Help->About VS and post the list of installed extensions?  It actually sounds like you have PTVS installed w/o the IronPython support (if you had IpyTools installed or if you had PTVS w/ IronPython support I'd expect to see IronPython templates).  And is Python Tools still listed in add/remove programs?

Aug 1, 2011 at 8:16 PM
Hi dinov,

Thanks for the response.

I'm on a 64 bit Windows 7 machine. I installed VS 2010 Pro using the web installer from here: http://www.microsoft.com/visualstudio/en-us/try

This registry key exists: HKLM\Software\Wow6423Node\Microsoft\VisualStudio\10.0\InstallDir

This is the value assigned to it: C:\Program Files (x86)\Microsoft Visual Studio 10.0\Common7\IDE

That directory exists on my system.

Here's the help->about VS list;

Microsoft Visual Studio 2010
Version 10.0.30319.1 RTMRel
Microsoft .NET Framework
Version 4.0.30319 RTMRel

Installed Version: Professional

Microsoft Office Developer Tools 01018-532-2002163-70447
Microsoft Office Developer Tools

Microsoft Visual Basic 2010 01018-532-2002163-70447
Microsoft Visual Basic 2010

Microsoft Visual C# 2010 01018-532-2002163-70447
Microsoft Visual C# 2010

Microsoft Visual C++ 2010 01018-532-2002163-70447
Microsoft Visual C++ 2010

Microsoft Visual F# 2010 01018-532-2002163-70447
Microsoft Visual F# 2010

Microsoft Visual Studio 2010 Team Explorer 01018-532-2002163-70447
Microsoft Visual Studio 2010 Team Explorer

Microsoft Visual Web Developer 2010 01018-532-2002163-70447
Microsoft Visual Web Developer 2010

Crystal Reports Templates for Microsoft Visual Studio 2010
Crystal Reports Templates for Microsoft Visual Studio 2010

Microsoft Python Tools for Visual Studio 1.0
Python Tools for Visual Studio provides intellisense, project support, project and item templates, as well as a REPL window for Python development.

Microsoft Python Tools for Visual Studio - Profiling Support 1.0
Profiling support for Python projects.

Microsoft Visual Studio 2010 SharePoint Developer Tools 10.0.30319
Microsoft Visual Studio 2010 SharePoint Developer Tools

I'm Running the PythonToolsInstaller.msi. It installed at one point but the IronPython support didn't. That option has an X on it. I'm trying to change it to "Will be installed on local hard drive". When I change that option and click on the "change" button, I get the error message about VS2010 needing to be installed.

On Mon, Aug 1, 2011 at 9:50 AM, dinov <notifications@codeplex.com> wrote:

Can you check if you have a registry key at:

HKLM\Software\Microsoft\VisualStudio\10.0\InstallDir ?

If you're on a 64-bit machine it'll be at:

HKLM\Software\Wow6423Node\Microsoft\VisualStudio\10.0\InstallDir ?

That's what we look at to make sure VS is installed. Also - this is w/ RC1 of the tools? And you're getting the error message when you run the PythonToolsInstaller.msi?

Can you also go to Help->About VS and post the list of installed extensions? It actually sounds like you have PTVS installed w/o the IronPython support (if you had IpyTools installed or if you had PTVS w/ IronPython support I'd expect to see IronPython templates). And is Python Tools still listed in add/remove programs?

Read the full discussion online.

To add a post to this discussion, reply to this email (pytools@discussions.codeplex.com)

To start a new discussion for this project, email pytools@discussions.codeplex.com

You are receiving this email because you subscribed to this discussion on CodePlex. You can unsubscribe on CodePlex.com.

Please note: Images and attachments will be removed from emails. Any posts to this discussion will also be available online at CodePlex.com

Coordinator
Aug 1, 2011 at 8:56 PM

Can you un-install it and then re-install it instead of using change?  Maybe change is broken for some reason, I'll see if I can repro that.

Aug 1, 2011 at 10:20 PM
Hi dinov,

That fixed the problem. Here are the steps I took;

I uninstalled Visual Tools for Python
I uninstalled IronPython 2.7
I re-installed IronPython
I re-isntalled Visual Tools for Python.

Now I've got five different IronPython templates in the Python language section.

I thought that I had tried the above before. The problem is that when I have a problem like this, I'm frantically trying all kinds of things. My old brain has trouble remembering what I did.

Anyway, it's working now. Thanks!

Joe Goldthwaite

On Mon, Aug 1, 2011 at 12:56 PM, dinov <notifications@codeplex.com> wrote:

Can you un-install it and then re-install it instead of using change? Maybe change is broken for some reason, I'll see if I can repro that.

Read the full discussion online.

To add a post to this discussion, reply to this email (pytools@discussions.codeplex.com)

To start a new discussion for this project, email pytools@discussions.codeplex.com

You are receiving this email because you subscribed to this discussion on CodePlex. You can unsubscribe on CodePlex.com.

Please note: Images and attachments will be removed from emails. Any posts to this discussion will also be available online at CodePlex.com

Coordinator
Aug 1, 2011 at 11:24 PM
This discussion has been copied to a work item. Click here to go to the work item and continue the discussion.
Coordinator
Aug 1, 2011 at 11:24 PM

Great, I'm glad we got you working again.  I've opened a bug so we can fix the underlying issue.  Thanks for the report!

Jan 31, 2012 at 12:17 AM

FYI I had exactly the same problem, and fixed it by running the following on a commandline:

PythonToolsInstaller.msi VSINSTALLPATH="C:\Program Files (x86)\Microsoft Visual Studio 10.0\Common7\IDE"