Beta 2 installation problem

Apr 12, 2011 at 9:16 PM
Hello - I had PyTools Beta 1 installed on my HP Netbook with Windows 7. I downloaded both the installer (maybe unneccessary) and the Beta 2 files this morning and tried to install. The installer asked if I wanted to 'Change' 'Repair' or 'Uninstall'. I was expecting it to ask if I wanted to 'Install' or 'upgrade' and hopefully just override the Beta 1 which was shown under Visual Studio. I chose 'repair' to see if that would do anything, but did not appear to have an effect. I then ran the installer again and chose to uninstall (hopefully the Beta 1) and then ran again and did have option to Install Beta 2. It seemed to be successful, but I do not see PyTool as an option under Visual Studio. Am I missing a step?
I do have a Pytools shortcut on my desktop I made from the Beta 1 install. I can launch it and a Visual Studio 2010 Shell comes up and then Visual Studio project page (I don't have projects right now) and under Tools -> Python Tools it does show both my Python 3.2 Interactive and a Python 2.6 Interactive as options, although when I try selecting one, for example the 'Python 3.2' I receive an error 'Value cannot be null. Parameter name: String" so maybe those options off the Tools menu are for a different purpose?
Thanks for suggestions,
Patty
Coordinator
Apr 14, 2011 at 12:32 AM

You may have to run the beta 1 installer and uninstall and then run the beta 2 installer and re-install it.  We have a feature to support upgrades but it's not supported right now.  We should probably make sure it reports an error until that's implemented so that you won't get into these weird states.  Sorry for the problems!

Apr 14, 2011 at 1:15 AM

Thanks for the reply, I will try these steps. Meanwhile I had looked through all my notes and I am not sure if PyTools should have worked in the first place because I have Visual Studio Express not the standard, I guess 'Professional' version. So my problems may be that it wasn't targetted for my platform in the first place. I think I was forgetting whether I had Beta 1 ever working properly on the particular Windows 7 system. I have been working on other projects...
One set of steps I did try and failed was: Run the Beta 2 installer and choose to uninstall the beta 1 then run Beta 2 installer again and choose to install the newly downloaded Pytools distribution. So maybe by trying again using Beta 1 installer (which I still have) to uninstall as you advise, may make a difference.
If this doesn't work, I will assume it is the fact that I have the Visual Studio Express. I will watch for future announcements in case you support that platform or if I can ever afford the Visual Studio Professional. I looked yesterday and it was about $8,000!
Regards,
Patty
----- Original Message -----
To: [email removed]
Sent: Wednesday, April 13, 2011 4:32 PM
Subject: Re: Beta 2 installation problem [pytools:253617]

You may have to run the beta 1 installer and uninstall and then run the beta 2 installer and re-install it. We have a feature to support upgrades but it's not supported right now. We should probably make sure it reports an error until that's implemented so that you won't get into these weird states. Sorry for the problems!

Editor
Apr 14, 2011 at 1:31 AM

PyTools won't work on VS Express editions.  

The "Ultimate" version of VS2010 is $8000; the "Pro" version is $799 list price but you can find it for less online.  If that's still too expensive for you, you can use the free Visual Studio Integrated Shell: http://www.microsoft.com/downloads/en/details.aspx?familyid=8E5AA7B6-8436-43F0-B778-00C3BCA733D3&displaylang=en

Coordinator
Apr 15, 2011 at 10:13 AM

Murky - also note that if youre a student or startup you can get VS (along w a bunch of other stuff) for free thru bizspark.com and dreamspark.com programs - or as joxn said, via the free integrated shell. 

Apr 15, 2011 at 6:44 PM

Wow -Thanks for replying!! Great timing :)  I was checking things out again last night & this morning and have a new question.  It turns out that I had the Integrated Shell already from the Beta 1 install.  And the only thing different after my uninstall of Beta 1 and then install of Beta 2 was that the date on the

C:/Program Files/Python/Python Tools For Visual Studio  now says 4/12/2011

So when I invoke this, I can see the properties for Visual Studio and its Release #, etc.  but how do I 'prove' to myself that I am running
Beta 2 underneath and not Beta 1 other than the new date I see under Program Files?

Also, I am an unemployed housewife basically - a Software QA Engineer :} - not a startup but through a combination of factors, I think I am technically

also a student.  I may pursue the Bizspark.com route because that would mean I would be able to have a PyTools iconto launch from within Visual studio

like Basic, C++, etc. because it would be the full fledge version.    Now I use the separate desktop shortcut for Integrated Shell -> PyTools.  I really like the whole look and feel of the product though!

Regards,

Patty

Editor
Apr 15, 2011 at 7:03 PM

You can look at the version in Control Panel / Installled Programs. It should be build 40406.

Apr 16, 2011 at 3:10 AM

I looked via Control Panel -->Programs --> Programs and Features  --> Python Tools for V.S. is dated 4/12/2011 and the size is 3.64MB

and the Version is  0.7.4100.0

So is that wrong?  Does that mean this is Beta 1?

Patty

Editor
Apr 16, 2011 at 8:09 AM

That is Beta 1. The version on Beta 2 is 0.8.40406.0

Apr 16, 2011 at 6:10 PM

Thanks for verifying for me. I have several options at this point.
Regards,
Patty
----- Original Message -----
To: [email removed]
Sent: Saturday, April 16, 2011 12:09 AM
Subject: Re: Beta 2 installation problem [pytools:253617]

That is Beta 1. The version on Beta 2 is 0.8.40406.0