Installation Not Giving Me Extra Projects

Mar 11, 2011 at 5:37 PM

I have IronPython 2.6.2 installed on my 64-bit Windows 7 system.  I've been using it for a while, so I know the installation is good.  When I installed PTVS, all it gave me was the console application.  I didn't see the extra templates that the help file said I was supposed to get.  How do I get these additional projects to install?  I'm hoping there is a simple fix for this issue.  Also, I had to manually configure the interpreter in the Options dialog box before I could run the test application.  I'm using Visual Studio 2010 Ultimate with SP1 installed.

Mar 11, 2011 at 7:46 PM

Got the same problem on VS2010 Ultimate SP1 and Windows 7 Ultimate x64 - in projects list I can see only "Python application", but nothing related with WPF / MPI and other project types.

Coordinator
Mar 11, 2011 at 10:19 PM

Hi guys,

This is by (poor) design & we'll fix it in the update.  Basically PTVS currently shows you projects for what you've installed.  So for example to get the MPI projects and IronPython projects, you need to install the HPC SDK and IronPython, etc so PTVS knows about them.  Make sure to rerun the PTVS installer and select Change after install the supporting bits.  In the future we'll make it so all the projects show up whether the supporting bits are installed or not.  We'll then do an FYI prompt on where to get the bits...

thx.

Editor
Mar 11, 2011 at 10:21 PM

Also, right now we only detect IronPython 2.7RC.

Mar 13, 2011 at 4:38 PM

I've got the same problem too. I have both IronPython and MPI installed, but PTVS won't detect them.

Editor
Mar 13, 2011 at 4:44 PM

Which version of MPI? If you have MSMPI, do you have the HPC Pack client utilities installed?

Mar 14, 2011 at 8:57 AM

Hi,

just installed IronPython 2.7 Release Candidate 2 - but still have no any Python projects except "Python application". Should i use RC1? May be it's simple just get somewhere project templates and install them separatly from PyTools / IPy?

Mar 14, 2011 at 1:14 PM

Looks like I've found what is the problem. During IronPython installation I've checked "IronPython tools for Visual Studio" - and autocomplete / parameter help disappeared from Python code. But after removing "IronPython tools for Visual Studio" I got all new projects and all features for Python in editor. 

Mar 14, 2011 at 10:57 PM

I have all of the projects at this point. What I did was uninstall the IronPython Tools for Visual Studio that I originally downloaded and installed, along with IronPython 2.6.2.  At this point, I rebooted my system.  Then I installed IronPython Release Candidate 2 without installing IronPython Tools for Visual Studio separately--it's included as part of the RC.  So, now I have all four templates available.  I hope this helps other people who are struggling to make this work right now.  I'm also planning to blog about my experience on my blog at http://blog.johnmuellerbooks.com/.  Now I'm looking forward to checking the templates out thoroughly and seeing what I can do with them <g>.  Thanks to everyone who responded!

Editor
Mar 14, 2011 at 11:40 PM

Obviously among other things we need to have better documentation on not mixing and matching IronPython Tools and IronPython versions.  We should also look at whether we're going to support IronPython 2.6 or just IronPython 2.7.

We'll coordinate with the IronPython guys on pulling all their feature work into PTVS; hopefully then we can just deprecate IronPython tools. The two products share a codebase already; and we certainly want IronPython to have great tooling.