Error use ipython in ptvs: cannot import name 'ShellChannel'

Mar 23, 2015 at 6:39 AM
Hi Ptvs team,

I tried to use ipython in ptvs according to the instructions https://pytools.codeplex.com/wikipage?title=Using%20IPython%20with%20PTVS

Errors:
The Python REPL process has exited
Error using selected REPL back-end:
cannot import name 'ShellChannel'
Using standard backend instead

Is that I should install some packages? (I tried both python 2.7 and 3.4, both got the same message)

Thanks,
Junjie
Coordinator
Mar 23, 2015 at 4:55 PM
IPython 3.0 made some changes that we don't yet support. For now, the best option is to downgrade to IPython 2.4 (you can do this by installing --upgrade ipython<3).

When we release PTVS 2.2, it will have support for IPython 3.0, though in 2.2 Beta we just display a more helpful error message than the one you've encountered.
Marked as answer by junjieli on 3/23/2015 at 10:31 PM
Mar 24, 2015 at 6:27 AM
Zooba wrote:
IPython 3.0 made some changes that we don't yet support. For now, the best option is to downgrade to IPython 2.4 (you can do this by installing --upgrade ipython<3).

When we release PTVS 2.2, it will have support for IPython 3.0, though in 2.2 Beta we just display a more helpful error message than the one you've encountered.
It works! Thanks so much for the reply.
Apr 30, 2015 at 1:21 PM
Hi, can you please tell me what is the full command and where do I run it from? I'm new to Python and struggle to find any info about --upgrade command

I'm running Anaconda on Windows 8.1

Thanks