PTVS 2.1 cpu usage

Feb 24, 2015 at 2:25 PM
I have PVTS 2.1 installed with VS Ultimate 2013, on Windows 7. I'm only using one vanilla CPython 2.7.9 environment.

Whenever I have a Python project open, I see a continual baseline 25-30% cpu usage from the devenv.exe process (on my 4 virtual core system). The Completion DB is always shown as "up to date", and when I do a manual Refresh DB I see cpu utilization rise a lot for a while and then go away as expected -- but the 25% constant usage always remains. So I think this problem is not related to refreshing the completion DB.

Also, VS gets into a state where I cannot close it -- trying to will hang, and I have to kill the process from the task manager. If I just load the python project, edit a bit, check that completions are working, that all works, I see the cpu usage settle at ~25%, and I can close VS immediately. But if I run my project with F5, it runs fine, but subsequent attempt to close VS hangs. PVTS seems to be waiting for something in the background that won't finish. I've repaired my VS2013 installation, and uninstalled/reinstalled PVTS, but no change.

Any suggestions for how to identify the source of this problem?

Feb 27, 2015 at 10:59 PM
This will occasionally happen with some code constructs that our analyzer takes a long time to understand, and sometimes if your code has a lot of syntax errors.

Are you able to try installing our latest dev build? There are some fixes for a few known issues here, including the hang. It would be very interesting to see if they are already fixed or whether we need to go deeper and figure out exactly where it is getting stuck for you.
Mar 5, 2015 at 2:00 PM
Thanks for the pointer to the latest dev build.

After a few days of seeing this problem, it is no longer happening! I kept waiting to see it happen again before trying the dev build, but now since it ain't broke, I ain't gonna try to fix it :-).

-- Andy