Which libraries are supported ? sometimes work , sometimes doesnt

Dec 21, 2014 at 3:40 AM
Edited Dec 21, 2014 at 3:46 AM
im using 2.1.x PTVS with VS13 pro , everything is working fine except when i use certain libraries , i.e. pylab in this case , after "." intellisence shows <no complition> any idea?
works for random but not for pylab

Edit:- suggestions for pylab works while checking in Canopy Interpreter Window (im using canopy 2.7 as distro) , but not in code editing window

Thank You
Coordinator
Dec 21, 2014 at 5:19 AM
Go to Tools -> Python Tools -> Python Environments, and check whether your completion database is up-to-date. I suspect it's still working through it, as that takes some time on large Python distros like Canopy and Anaconda.

The reason why it would still work in the Interactive window is because it inspects live objects directly instead of doing static code analysis where possible, so it doesn't rely on the completion DB.
Dec 21, 2014 at 6:37 AM
yes DB is up-to-date (i also tried refreshing it ) so it wont be a problem , i have two python environments according to that window (idk how i manually installed only 1 ,Enthought Canopy , but it also shows "Python 64 bit 2.7" while Canopy is default)

I also tried some other libraries like string , zlib and webbrowser they work fine , only pylab does not show suggestions. Pylab is installed correctly and works without any problem , and as it was installed along with canopy distro it will be at right place too.
Coordinator
Dec 21, 2014 at 6:53 AM
It may well be that pylab is one of the packages that our analysis engine doesn't handle well for whatever reason - Python being a dynamically typed language, there's all kinds of tricks that people use in their code, and some of them can be very tricky to handle and need to be special-cased. File a bug on it and we'll have a look.

Regarding two environments, that's normal with Canopy if you install it globally - it then registers itself in the registry as a global Python interpreter, and we pick that up; but it also installs a PTVS extension that enables detection of Canopy as Canopy. You will always want to use the latter, because Canopy directory layout is quite different from a usual Python distro, and the extension is needed for PTVS to do everything right.