pip error: TypeError: expected unsigned long, got int - all package install attempts

Dec 10, 2014 at 6:59 PM
environment is ironpython 2.7 64 bit. latest build of PTVS - VS2013 update 4
trying to load pandas (but actually any package at all) and always get the same error message:
File "C:\Program Files (x86)\IronPython 2.7\lib\site-packages\pip-1.5.6-py2.7.egg\pip_vendor\colorama\winterm.py", line 2, in <module>
File "C:\Program Files (x86)\IronPython 2.7\lib\site-packages\pip-1.5.6-py2.7.egg\pip_vendor\colorama\win32.py", line 86, in <module>

____TypeError: expected unsigned long, got int
__'pandas' failed to install. Exit code: 1
__
I assume I've messed up being new to PTVS, but really don't know how to proceed.
tried switching to Ironpython 2.7 (32 bit) same outcome.
thx,
Coordinator
Dec 10, 2014 at 7:05 PM
pandas/numpy/scipy/etc. dont work with IronPython. you want to install CPython. pls see the installation page.
Dec 11, 2014 at 12:43 PM
thanks -installed Cpython but still not working. This appears to be my fault. Lost is a maze of multiple environments - none of which install pandas.
2.7.8 - fails
3.4 fails
Coordinator
Dec 11, 2014 at 2:03 PM
are you trying to install pandas by itself? we highly recommend installing a distro like Anaconda which has numpy/scipy/pandas/... readily available.
Coordinator
Dec 11, 2014 at 3:28 PM
Specifically, pandas/numpy/scipy etc. have fairly complicated build processes that aren't handled well by the automated installers. You really need to track down either pre-built packages (such as here or at their websites) or a Python distribution (such as Anaconda, Canopy, Pythonxy, etc.) that includes a version that is already built.
Marked as answer by jimwill3 on 12/11/2014 at 9:22 AM
Dec 11, 2014 at 4:22 PM
thanks - using anaconda got things working.
jim