Not able to debug properly. Break not working, no control on debug scope

Nov 27, 2014 at 6:46 AM
Hi,

I read in other disscussion about how to debug the standard library. Tools->Options->Python Tools->Debugging->Enable debugging of the Python standard library).

I believed in previous version (now Python 2.7.x and PTVS 2.1 RC1) I was able to just debug the site-packages I put in a project. This limited my debugging only to a couple libraries and not the complete underlying site-packages. Maybe I created this situation by accident, but I found it a nice way of debugging.

Now it does not work anymore. Maybe because I changed my project paths a bit: I have my projects in D:\dev and I have a project (also on d:\dev with code from c:\python2.7\lib\site-packages\zipline. I first had all my projects in the c:\python2.7 folder but that was a bit unstructured. Can this be the situation?

Also pressing break-all (pauze button) (ctrl-alt-break) during debugging does not show up the call stack where the process is. In other words: my project runs with debugging, hangs somewhere, but I am not able to find out where it goes wrong. It is not possible to step through with F10 and F11 to find out.

Is there something that I do wrong in debugging? I am used to C# and maybe I expect too much or the same?

J.
Nov 27, 2014 at 7:11 AM
Hi,
Regarding 'Break-all'. I closed my VS and opened the project again. Now the 'black MS command' box showing the same as 'output' is present. I can now press 'pauze' again. Also I can set a breakpoint in the references project included in the solution and the debugger also stops there.
Weird, seems that 'ms dos box' should be running.
J.