I have Python working in PTVS but cant seem to install any packages.

Oct 13, 2014 at 11:10 PM
Keep getting errors like:

"compile failed with error code 1 in c:\users\my_userid\appdata\local\temp\pip_build_us44532\scipy"

How should I go about troubleshooting?
Coordinator
Oct 13, 2014 at 11:52 PM
Are you trying to pip install scipy? That's not going to work on Windows (well, not without meticulously installing tons of dependencies first). I would strongly recommend you to install a Python distro that already includes scipy, such as Anaconda, Canopy or WinPython.
Oct 14, 2014 at 2:26 AM
So this is instead of using PTVS?
Coordinator
Oct 14, 2014 at 2:50 AM
Instead of using Python from python.org (if you clicked through the help page in PTVS then this is where we sent you - it's fine for most things, but Scipy is one of the exceptions). PTVS will work fine with most Python distributions.
Coordinator
Oct 14, 2014 at 3:17 AM
just to make sure you're not too confused (it can be confusing...):

PTVS = VS + Python Tools for Visual Studio (which you seem to have)
Python interpreter = CPython picked up from python.org for example (which you have)
Python libraries = most install via pip thru PTVS just fine. some otoh require a whole bunch of pre-reqs installed 1st. for those, such as numpy/scipy, it's better to pick something like Anaconda distro, which has those libs precompiled & ready to use.

once installed, PTVS will recognize your Anaconda installation, crank away at intellisense database generation, etc. and you can immediately import numpy, scipy & party on.
Oct 14, 2014 at 3:47 AM
Ah, thank you. Sorry for using scipy in my example. I mean that no Python packages appear to be able to install.
Coordinator
Oct 14, 2014 at 3:57 AM
Can you provide the full output from attempting to install ptvsd? We expect that one to work practically everywhere.
Oct 14, 2014 at 5:18 AM
Ah, we are on to something because ptvsd installed successfully. If the output is useful:

Installing 'ptvsd'
Downloading/unpacking ptvsd
Running setup.py (path:c:\users\username\appdata\local\temp\pip_build_username\ptvsd\setup.py) egg_info for package ptvsd

Installing collected packages: ptvsd
Running setup.py install for ptvsd

Successfully installed ptvsd
Oct 14, 2014 at 5:22 AM
On the other hand, using the example of bigimg:

Installing 'bigimg'
Downloading/unpacking bigimg
Downloading bigimg-0.0.3.tar.gz
Running setup.py (path:c:\users\username\appdata\local\temp\pip_build_username\bigimg\setup.py) egg_info for package bigimg
Traceback (most recent call last):
  File "<string>", line 17, in <module>
  File "c:\users\username\appdata\local\temp\pip_build_username\bigimg\setup.py", line 29, in <module>
    long_description=open('README.rst').read(),
IOError: [Errno 2] No such file or directory: 'README.rst'
Complete output from command python setup.py egg_info:
Traceback (most recent call last):
File "<string>", line 17, in <module>

File "c:\users\username\appdata\local\temp\pip_build_username\bigimg\setup.py", line 29, in <module>
long_description=open('README.rst').read(),

IOError: [Errno 2] No such file or directory: 'README.rst'

Cleaning up...
Command python setup.py egg_info failed with error code 1 in c:\users\username\appdata\local\temp\pip_build_username\bigimg
Storing debug log for failure in C:\Users\username\pip\pip.log
'bigimg' failed to install. Exit code: 1
Coordinator
Oct 14, 2014 at 6:54 PM
That package is broken - I get the same errors. If you get the source from https://github.com/stephenbalaban/bigimg and run python setup.py install in the root of his source directory then you should be able to install it. You could also report an issue on his page, but it doesn't look like you're likely to get a response.

I feel like you may just be getting unlucky with your choice of packages. Since ptvsd works fine, I don't think there's anything wrong with your configuration.