Launching python code

Sep 4 at 1:22 AM
So after playing with PTVS there seems to be 4 main ways to run my code (I'm sure you can come up with others, but these 4 are the most basic).
  1. Run an individual file without debugging
  2. Run an individual file with debugging
  3. Run a project without debugging (runs the file specified as the "Startup File" using the options set in the project properties)
  4. Run a project with debugging (runs the file specified as the "Startup File" using the options set in the project properties)
I have been playing around with these various modes and I have a series of observations and questions.
  • In modes 1 and 2 it seems that the working directory is the directory containing the file if no project is loaded, but is the specified working directory of the project if one is loaded. Is this intentional? I would prefer that it always set the working directory to the folder containing the file for these modes. It also seems that the command line arguments for these modes follow those of a loaded project.
  • In modes 1 and 3 (non-debug modes) is python launched directly or does it use a script such as the visualstudio_py_launcher.py? How are the search paths inserted into the python path when running?
  • In the project settings dialog, the debug tab is the only spot to enter command line arguments however they seem to apply to both debug and non-debug run modes. Is this intentional?