Intellisense and added reference assemblies?

Aug 26, 2014 at 10:43 PM
Is there any way of preloading a DLL so that for the current session it will be available/recognised by Intellisense (for eg in the same way that 'IronPython.Wpf.dll' is)?

My reason for asking is that I have a third party C# DLL with loads of methods; if Intellisense were available on it I would not have to keep referring to the Object Browser or source code.
Coordinator
Aug 26, 2014 at 10:49 PM
You should be able to add it as a Reference in your project (see our References documentation). It may not show up immediately unless you have import clr and call one of the clr.AddReference* functions.

These can be inside an if False: block if you don't actually want to execute them, though it should always be safe in IronPython to execute these functions multiple times with the same parameters.
Aug 27, 2014 at 2:44 AM
Thanks for that!
I could never see the point in adding references to the project since you HAVE to do clr.AddReference() anyway - now I know :)
Coordinator
Aug 27, 2014 at 3:25 AM
Yeah. At this point we could probably figure it out from search paths and AddReference calls, but the support for adding a reference has been there for ages.

We could probably make it add a search path and offer AddReference completions, but we don't have enough information on how people use it in order to make useful design changes.