Remote debug

Aug 26 at 8:52 PM
Does remote debugging support regular Remote transport, not Python remote transport?

When I use regular remote attach, then the code types is missing Python.

But the documentation states otherwise:
Python Tools already provides a number of facilities to debug apps launched from the IDE itself, as well as attaching to existing Python processes on both local and remote machines. However, these all only work if the process being debugged is running on a Windows PC, and attaching remotely also requires the Visual Studio Remote Debugging Monitor (MSVSMon) to be running on the remote PC.
Coordinator
Aug 26 at 11:23 PM
It is supported (if not particularly well tested or documented). The trick here is that you need the PTVS debugger DLL and its dependencies to be alongside msvsmon.exe (or, for DLLs, in GAC), so that it can load them on that machine.

This is the complete list of files that should be sufficient to get it to run:
  • visualstudio_py_debugger.py
  • visualstudio_py_launcher.py
  • visualstudio_py_repl.py
  • visualstudio_py_util.py
  • PyDebugAttach.dll
  • PyDebugAttachX86.dll
  • Microsoft.PythonTools.Debugger.dll
  • Microsoft.PythonTools.Analysis.dll
  • Microsoft.PythonTools.Attacher.exe
  • Microsoft.PythonTools.AttacherX86.exe
For mixed mode, additionally:
  • Microsoft.PythonTools.Debugger.Helper.x86.dll
  • Microsoft.PythonTools.Debugger.Helper.x64.dll
I believe pure Python debugging should just work so long as the files are there. Mixed mode might require additional registration - I'll need to look it up if you're interested in that part.
Aug 27 at 3:00 PM
I noticed that I have 2 folders with similar content:

C:\Program Files (x86)\Microsoft Visual Studio 12.0\Common7\IDE\Extensions\Microsoft\Python Tools for Visual Studio\2.1
C:\Program Files (x86)\Microsoft Visual Studio 12.0\Common7\IDE\WDExpressExtensions\Microsoft\Python Tools for Visual Studio\2.1

Are they both used or one of them is legacy?
Coordinator
Aug 27 at 3:48 PM
One is used for VS Pro/Premium/Ultimate and the other is used for Express for Desktop. Unfortunately, we need to make two copies of the files in order to support both (though they should only be installed if you actually have both Pro+ and Express installed).

The files should be identical, though I suspect we'll eventually hit some confusing bugs when they (inevitably) get out of sync for somebody...
Aug 27 at 7:45 PM
I had Ultimate trial for few months, after which switched to Express. But I uninstalled everything before new install.