Brand Unity.....

Aug 22 at 12:11 AM
Hi Everyone,

This will come off as probably the most nit-picky thing you will read today..... sorry.... but PTVS is seriously one of my favorite MS projects (I use it with VS almost every day) and it deserves it.

I read today about MS Azure's new DocumentDB service. Much to my happy surprise they included a Python example/tutorial! Click Here Which is obviously awesome. Reading through it I came across a prerequisite that I didn't recognize, "Python for Visual Studio Beta tools". For a split second I had no clue what they were talking about and for that split second I felt as if I had missed-out on some python related MS technology. Clicking on the link next to the text took me to the PTVS project site.

Is there anyway someone who has the contacts within MS ask to have that text updated so that it correctly lists "Python Tools for Visual Studio..." It is important from a brand strategy point of view to fix these types of issues so that there is clear brand unity and cohesion around the product/project. It’s a very small thing but it’s important.

Hopefully your nit-picky levels are not ready to explode! Hopefully people don't think I am jumping off the deep end of the pool without my floaters.

Thanks!
Coordinator
Aug 22 at 12:21 AM
Haha, not at all. Thanks for pointing it out! We're already in touch with that team - we're going to help them make sure their Python code looks like Python and not C# (I haven't looked at what they've released yet).
Marked as answer by newfound on 8/22/2014 at 4:33 AM
Aug 22 at 12:33 PM
Good to hear!

Even now when I went back to reread it I am a little stunned by how the author was able to use all of the words that make up the actual name of the project/product, including its current release status (because according to the prereq "beta" is a permanent part of the name), but in a way that 100% wrong. My issue was with the fact that someone who is not familiar with PTVS could go away thinking that there is some python product for VS with that name that exists when in reality it does not. Which could mean one less user, tester, preacher, contributor. The thing that got me to post was the fact that the naming mistake kinda felt like they were treating PTVS as a second class citizen. Like it wasn't important enough to remember the actual name of the project, let alone double check what was typed vs what reality is. I mean come on, they only listed 4 pages under the development section on the DocumentDB site. Apparently Python and PTVS is pretty important if it makes up 25% of their code examples but not important enough to do a little post edit double checking. With that few pages I would have figured they would have taken a little more care.

But I am glad to hear you guys are working together and not viewed as some weird side show. The example I linked to isn't that bad. The only thing I noticed is that there were some formatting issues (spacing in the code blocks and indentation) that just looks a little weird/off. (It could be a result of my window sizing. I didn't check).

Keep up the great work!

Thanks!