Why not stop at error or breakpoint, but have environment still running?

Aug 17 at 10:56 PM
Hi,
I there is an error in my code, it seems there is not outbreak to the error. With F10 / F11 you simply step over the error and on F5 it looks like the program is still executing (stop and pause are there), but the program never finishes. This is confusing behavior. I would expect a message box with error that my code did not execute well.
J.
Coordinator
Aug 18 at 3:34 AM
Can you tell more about what error you expect to be there, and what does the reporting look like?

PTVS is set up to break on exceptions, so long as they are 1) unhandled (i.e. no try/except up the stack that can handle them) and 2) in your code. If it's in the standard library, or some package that is installed into site-packages, it will only break once the exception crosses the boundary to your code. Also, if it's one of the exception types that are extremely common to be thrown in Python code, they may be ignored by default. You can see and change what it should do in Debug -> Exceptions.
Coordinator
Aug 18 at 4:24 AM
Actually, there's a bug that means if the exception is thrown within the standard library or site-packages then we won't break. I think we decided against taking the fix to avoid destabilizing the debugger, so that'll be a 2.1 known issue.

If there's a particular exception you're expecting, you should enable the Thrown check box for it in Debug -> Exceptions.