VS 2013 Express - updates do not support Win 7

Aug 15 at 3:57 AM
So I'm trying to install PTVS 2.1 beta for use with VS 2013 Express Desktop on Win 7. The instructions say to first install update 2 (now 3). But update 3 for VS 2013 Express requires Win 8 and the install of the update aborts. I assume I am out of luck and cannot use PTVS?

BTW - the link on the install page instructions for PTVS has a broken link to VS 2013 Express Update 2.
Coordinator
Aug 15 at 5:45 AM
This is really weird. The system requirements for Update 3 do list it as supported on Win7 (SP1), and I'm fairly sure we would have run into it before. Could it be that you don't have SP1 for Win7?

If this is not it, then can you show what the installer error message looks like?
Aug 15 at 4:20 PM
Success. Thanks for the link in your post pminaev.

I am running Win7 (SP1) but the issue was that somehow I managed to find a link on the MS download server for the update to desktop VS Express that only supports Win8 (see bad link). Anyway, with the correct update to VS Express the PTVS 2.1 beta installed successfully. Thanks again.
Coordinator
Aug 15 at 4:42 PM
Ah, yes. This Windows vs Windows Desktop thing is definitely confusing. Glad to hear it's all working now!