Your Project Needs A Python Script Marked As TheStartupFile To Perform This Operation

Aug 13 at 11:24 PM
Edited Aug 13 at 11:27 PM
Hi,
I have setup a solution with two projects. I have a reference to the ZipLine Python library in my Project myAlgorithms. I want to run a script with my algo with F5 like in C# projects. So I followed the setup:
  1. Add environment to my project;
  2. Set Startup file
However, I get the error message. What do I do wrong? I can email a screenshot.

J.
Coordinator
Aug 13 at 11:35 PM
When you set the startup file, does it now show up as bold in Solution Explorer?
Aug 17 at 12:00 PM
Yes, it is bold.
Coordinator
Aug 17 at 2:14 PM
If you have multiple projects then you'll also need to set the startup project. If the correct project and file are bold (and you can close/reopen the solution and they're still bold) then it should work. Otherwise, we have a very strange bug on our hands...
Aug 17 at 9:43 PM
Edited Aug 17 at 9:59 PM
Hi,

Thank you for het reminder. In the configuration of the solution, the single startup was still pointing to ZipLine. I selected myAlgorithms project and it starts after agreement of 'Launch with errors? One or more files in your project contain errors. Do you want to launch anyway? Yes/No' that there were build errors...which is strange because there is nothing to compile in Solution or Project. Those options like in C# are not present for Python. Any ideas?

J.
Coordinator
Aug 17 at 10:45 PM
The errors are likely coming from the editor, which highlights parse errors, invalid imports etc in your project and shows them in the Error List. VS will check those when doing a run. Can you share a screenshot of the Error List?

It's true that there is nothing to compile for Python, but there's still a build happening for your project (this can be utilized to e.g. hook up various tools that you want to run automatically).
Aug 17 at 11:50 PM
Thank you. Issure resolved. Needed to turn prompt for build errors before launch under 'Python tools' from options..menu. Some 'newline' errors where in the errorlist..and > 3.000 warnings like 'Warning 1 Trailing whitespace C:\Users\MyUserName\Documents\Visual Studio 2013\MyAlgos\thGetDataFromYahoo.py 1
'
Not relevant to this thread anymore..but why should I care about such warnings?
Coordinator
Aug 18 at 4:36 AM
Have you run PyLint on your project, by chance? It sounds like this.