"We didn't find any interpreters"

Aug 10 at 2:09 AM
I've got CPython (3.4.1 64bit), and Visual Studio 2013 Update 3 with PTVS 2.1 installed.

PTVS seems to have found and correctly detectedmy Python install, but whenever I try to run a project, I get this error message. and it asks me to install Python.

Anyone got any idea what I can do here? I'm kinda stuck.
Coordinator
Aug 10 at 5:14 AM
When you say that it has found and correctly detected your Python install - do you mean that it shows up in the Python Environments tool window (you can find it under Tools -> Python Tools)?

If it's not there, then it hasn't actually detected it.
Aug 10 at 5:23 AM
It's there. Here's an image:

I can even seem to use the Python prompt.
Coordinator
Aug 10 at 1:19 PM
In your project, is there anything listed under Python Environments? If there's a problem there, we should be falling back on your default, but we may not.

When you say "PTVS 2.1", can you clarify exactly which version? I'd guess you have Beta 2, but there's also a dev build you may have picked up.
Coordinator
Aug 10 at 1:22 PM
Oh, there's also a command in VS under Tools-Python Tools-Diagnostic Info that may have some useful information. Can you run that with your project open and email it to ptvshelp@microsoft.com (or have a look yourself and see if you can figure out what's wrong - all the Python environment info is near the top).
Coordinator
Aug 10 at 6:54 PM
I received your email, thanks. It looks like your project was configured to use Python 3.3 but you currently only have 3.4 installed.

In Solution Explorer, you should see an entry in your project labeled "Python Environments" that contains "Unknown Python 3.3". If you remove this item, it should default to 3.4. (You can also right-click Python Environments and use Add/remove Python Environments to add 3.4 in.)

We ought to be providing a different error message in this case, so I'll look at what we can do here in terms of providing a more actionable message.
Aug 10 at 7:45 PM
Fantastic! I really appreciate the look. I didn't realize the projects remember which version of Python they were first written on. I figured it'd be fine since I had started on 3.X.

I also appreciate the look at a different error message, something like "Project Interpreter doesn't match Python Environments" with the level of information you just posted would be really helpful.
Coordinator
Aug 18 at 4:03 PM
This discussion has been copied to a work item. Click here to go to the work item and continue the discussion.