Debug does not work VS2013

Jul 7 at 5:24 PM
This is probably an easy problem but.

I installed PTVS on several machines running VS 2013 with Win 8.1 and python 33 which debug fine on C++ and C# apps.

I even did a completely clean install of Win 8.1 and VS 2013 update 2 and Python 34.1 with PTVS 2.1 Beta.

With the Basic "Hello World" python application and a for loop or two to set break points with simple print("xx") calls the print outputs are seen in the remote console for run without debugging and in the interactive view with execute in Python interactive (shift-alt-F5).

In all cases on all machines I get the dialog box

"A 64-bit operations is taking longer than expected.
This may be caused by incompatibilities with 3rd Party network software."

On the clean machine I followed the troubleshooting help suggestion to install the remote debug tools rtools_setup_x64 update 2. It did not solve the issue.

None of the debug menu items pop up in the VS menus.

Thanks for your help or I will have to go back to Eclipse Luna.
Coordinator
Jul 7 at 5:34 PM
Edited Jul 7 at 5:35 PM
Can you tell a little bit more about your scenario? You mention remoting and remote tools - are you trying to debug your Python app remotely? Or is it just the most basic "Start with Debugging" (F5) that causes it?

Also, is this with mixed-mode debugging (when "Enable native code debugging" is enabled in project properties), or regular one?
Jul 7 at 5:54 PM
Thanks for you fast help.
Yes it is just Start with Debugging F5 on all machines.
Attached is the dialog box I get. (On all computers)
I went to the help for troubleshooting issues which is where VS help suggested the remote debugging fix. Which did not work.
Rex
Rex Dieterle
[email removed]
608-444-5373
Coordinator
Jul 7 at 5:59 PM
Unfortunately, when you reply by email to a discussion the attachments are removed. You'll have to upload it and post a link instead.
Coordinator
Jul 7 at 6:45 PM
Also, have a look at this, particularly the highest-voted answer there:

http://stackoverflow.com/questions/12252969/visual-studio-2012-a-remote-operation-is-taking-longer-than-expected

(I doubt it's a PTVS-specific problem, since we don't do anything funky with 64-bit in our debugger. The reason why C++ and C# work is likely because they both use the new debugging APIs in VS 2013; we only do that if you enable mixed-mode debugging.)