how to disable quick info

May 14 at 7:18 PM
I find quick info very annoying. Any tool that displays info automatically without me asking for it, is annoying to me.

How do I turn this thing off?

It looks from the Tools,Options, Text Editor menu for Python, that I can't . Is that so?
Coordinator
May 14 at 8:31 PM
There's no language-neutral setting, so every language is doing it for themselves. Looks like we're in the same boat with C# here, with no option to disable this (in contrast with C++, which does have such an option).

Feel free to file this as a feature request (then people can vote for it, and it'll make it easier for you to track when we start working on it). I'm afraid there's no good and easy workaround in the meantime, though. Digging around, I found this:

https://github.com/NoahRic/Random/blob/master/DisableQuickInfo.cs

which might do the trick for PTVS if the content type is adjusted accordingly.
May 14 at 8:40 PM
OK. How do I compile this DisableQuickInfor.cs modified file, into Visual Studio?
Coordinator
May 15 at 12:47 AM
You will need to install Visual Studio SDK for your VS version. Then:
  1. File -> New Project -> C# -> Extensibility -> Editor Classifier
  2. Project -> Add Reference -> Extensions -> Microsoft.VisualStudio.Language.Intellisense
  3. Remove all .cs files in the project, and add DisableQuickInfo.cs to it
  4. Edit it and replace [ContentType("csharp")] with [ContentType("python")]
At this point it should build, and you should be able to test it by running it with F5 - it will launch an "experimental instance" of VS with your extension active. Once you're confident that it works to your satisfaction, you can rebuild the project in Release configuration, and then open the .vsix file in bin\Release to install it into your main VS instance.

You can then also publish the VSIX to VS Gallery if you want to share it with others who have the same problem (the original DisableQuickInfo for C# was apparently published in such a way, but its author didn't update it beyond VS 2010).