PTVS 2.0 VS 2010.msi

Apr 10, 2014 at 4:53 AM
I have xp sp3 visual studio 2010 pro. When I try to download I get "this installation package could not be opened." I'm asking because if I down load PTVS 2.0 vs 2013 it starts the download but of course stops because I don't have 2013. Why would one start the download and the other not even start?

Steve
Coordinator
Apr 10, 2014 at 10:42 AM
Sounds like a corrupted download. Can you try clearing your internet cache and downloading it again?
Apr 10, 2014 at 2:09 PM
Same error. I have also reinstalled windows installer. Does the same with the 2012 download.

Steve
Coordinator
Apr 10, 2014 at 2:42 PM
That's very strange. There are no functional differences between the installers, so they should all at least start running even if they don't complete.

VS 2012 and VS 2013 aren't supported on Windows XP, so maybe there is a difference in the operating system check, but that seems unlikely as well given they didn't work for you either.

Can you try the PTVS 1.5 installer and maybe the PTVS 2.1 Alpha installer? (Note that 2.1 does not support XP, because it needs .NET 4.5. I just want to find out whether the installers give the same error.)

Plenty of people have successfully installed PTVS from those installers, and I just downloaded and ran the installer without issue, so it has not been corrupted on the server. What browser are you using to download the installer? Can you try with another browser?
Apr 10, 2014 at 3:30 PM
I have an old IE browser. I will update and try when I get home tonight. I agree this is very strange. I am also loading visual studio 2010 pro on a different computer at work and try the download from there.