Install of PyQt5 package

Jan 23 at 7:55 PM
Hi, I am new to Python and PTVS. I have installed PTVS Integrated, CPython 2.7.5 and 3.3.3. Can somebody explain how I can add the PyQT5 package to the environments. I already installet QT.
I have watched all tutorials, but didn't get a full explanation. The same applies to installing a full Distro. On the instructions I read "There are several Python Distros available. Each one has free and paid versions, as well as 32/64 editions. You should select one that matches your interpreter’s bit-ness:". This doesn't really help with the instalaltion...How can I install for example the WinPython distribution?
Coordinator
Jan 23 at 8:08 PM
A Python distribution does not install on top of an existing Python install; it's a bundle that includes both the interpreter and the packages for it, usually as a Windows installer that you can just run and have it set up everything for you.

WinPython is a good choice if you want to do GUI apps with PyQt. All you need is to download and extract their package from the official website. For PTVS to pick it up and show it in Python Environments window, you'll need to launch WinPython Control Panel and go to Advanced -> Register distribution.
Coordinator
Jan 23 at 8:11 PM
If you just want to add PyQt to your existing Python install, you'll need to use the official PyQt installer from here - so far as I know, it's not possible to install with pip or easy_install, so PTVS package management functionality won't work.

As a side note, depending on your requirements, you might want to look into PySide rather than PyQt. It's also a Qt wrapper, but PySide is the "official" one (done under the aegis of Qt project; whereas PyQt is a third-party wrapper). It's broadly similar, but the key difference is the license: PySide is LGPL, PyQt is GPL.
Jan 23 at 8:19 PM
Thansk for both explanations. I'll do as you suggested and give a try to PySide.
Coordinator
Jan 23 at 8:34 PM
Oh, one other thing that I should have clarified - WinPython comes with both PyQt and PySide.