Installed correctly yet doesn't show up in VS2013 Express

Jan 13 at 8:41 AM
I am running Visual studio express 2013 for Desktop on Windows 8.1 pro 64-bit. I installed all prerequisites and then PTVS for 2013 and there were no errors.
Weirdly enough, it doesn't show up as an installed extension after re-installing though the installer itself is not throwing up any errors. I've tried re-installing VS and PTVS to no avail.

I checked the online list in the extensions manager and can't find PTVS listed there either. Anyone facing similar issues?
Coordinator
Jan 13 at 8:58 AM
Visual Studio Express does not support extensions, so PTVS cannot be installed on top of it.

If you have managed to install PTVS somehow, most likely you were using the PTVS Integrated installer - this is PTVS bundled with the free Visual Studio Shell. If so, then you should look for a shortcut for the latter on the start screen.
Jan 13 at 9:04 AM
pminaev thanks for the info, I assumed free meant express. Guess I'll stick to IDLE...
Coordinator
Jan 13 at 9:53 AM
Edited Jan 13 at 9:53 AM
You can get both PTVS and VS for free; you just can't do it with VS Express. You need to use VS Shell - that one is also free, but, unlike Express, permits extensions. So when you combine Shell with PTVS, you effectively get "Visual Python Express".

It's all a bit confusing, hence why we made PTVS Integrated. Short story is, just download it and install it. It'll set up both VS Shell and PTVS for you, and it's free.
Marked as answer by pminaev on 1/13/2014 at 2:53 AM
Jan 13 at 10:03 AM
Wow, thanks again, you made my day! : )