Synchronize class view

Jan 6 at 3:41 PM
Is there any way I can synchronize the class view between the file editor and the class view? This is a very useful functionality in Eclipse/PyDev and I thought prior versions of VS had this feature. I am on VS pro 2012. I was able to add the synchronize class view button to the standard toolbar, but it's grayed out. I am wondering if it is just not supported by PTVS even though the functionality exists in VS IDE in general.
Coordinator
Jan 6 at 3:53 PM
Can you clarify what you mean by "synchronize"? When I modify the code in the editor I see the change almost immediately in Class View (though it does collapse the tree, which is annoying but probably outside of our control).
Jan 6 at 4:41 PM
Edited Jan 6 at 4:41 PM
Sure let me clarify..

Say I'm editing foobar() method of Foo class, I'd like the Class View to highlight the file and the class I am working on. If I switch to another file in the file editor, I want to be able to see where I am in the file/class hierarchy immediately either in the class view window, or the solution explorer window.

Does that make sense?
Coordinator
Jan 6 at 4:50 PM
Yeah, that makes sense.

Under Tools->Options->Projects and Solutions there's an option called "Track Active Item in Solution Explorer" that will do that for Solution Explorer. We don't have any support for doing the same with Class View, and I'm not even sure if it's possible to add it.

I'll add a feature request for it to our issue tracker, but I'd say the chances of it being added are very slim. Still, if someone comes up with a contribution for it then we'd almost certainly take it.
Coordinator
Jan 6 at 4:51 PM
This discussion has been copied to a work item. Click here to go to the work item and continue the discussion.
Jan 8 at 9:00 PM
Many thanks. This solves my problem partially. If I could expand each file in the solution explorer to see the underlying methods and classes that would have been perfect. Still, thank you very much for pointing out this solution and I look forward to a full solution for the work item you've raised.
Coordinator
Jan 8 at 9:08 PM
If I could expand each file in the solution explorer to see the underlying methods and classes that would have been perfect.
That is Solution Navigator integration, which is tracked by http://pytools.codeplex.com/workitem/300. Basically, doing what C# does - if you want to see how it'll look you can try it in a C# project. Class View extensibility is very rigid so I doubt we can pull it off there, but for Solution Navigator we can definitely do it, and their model permits arbitrary tree structures, so we can show whatever we decide to be useful there, and make it customizable (e.g. for locals). It will also enable searching for nodes using the search field on top.
Jan 8 at 9:40 PM
Yes, that's exactly what I'm after. I had that functionality in PyDev and it's something I miss. Looking forward to an update on work item 300