Error Marking

Dec 30, 2013 at 3:15 PM
Hi,

I've noticed that if I have an undeclared function, the editor will not tell me nothing about it.
I'm wondering whether this is a must (bcs you might know the function in run-time but not offline). Since there is always the context of the project, any function call should be defined somewhere in the project and the appropriate import should be inserted too.

So why wouldn't you mark unknown functions as errors (and if not error, what about a warning?)?
Coordinator
Dec 30, 2013 at 6:24 PM
Python being dynamic, there are so many ways to register a function such that it's next to impossible to track it. Within the same module, one might use globals(), for example, and a string index. And when calling functions on objects, there are even more corner cases like that.

So a warning for this would be more apropos. We don't really give you much in terms of warnings right now, though. This is probably best described as "PyLint-like functionality", for which we have a feature request (https://pytools.codeplex.com/workitem/162) that we're tracking.