VS 2012 crashes when opening IronPython solution

Dec 3, 2013 at 7:51 PM
Hi,

I have IronPython 2.7.4 installed with out any extra packages. In other words as it comes from codeplex site so nothing fancy. I have the latest version of pytools and here is what happens :

a) Create a solution that has 3 IronPython projects
b) Works fine, debug fine etc
c) Close the solution
d) Open the solution -> VS 2012 crashes
e) Try (d) 6 to 7 times but the result is same
f) Uninstall IronPython
g) Install IronPython
h) Open the solution . Problem fixed

So somehow uninstalling/ installing IronPython fixes the problem

If some one can point where I can look for the logs etc then I would be also able to provide that,

Regards & thanks
Kapil
Coordinator
Dec 4, 2013 at 4:15 PM
If it has been crashing, then there may be some information in the Application log in Event Viewer. If you're letting Windows send error reports in, then we'll get to see those eventually, but there may also be call stacks or crash information in the Application log that will help us find them sooner. Event IDs 1000 ("Application Error") and 1026 (".NET Runtime") are the most helpful.

That said, if you're on Windows 7 and also have SharpDevelop installed, this is a known (and solved) issue. There is a .NET bug that causes the crash, but it has been fixed in later versions of Windows and there's a workaround on that thread.

If you don't have Windows 7 or SharpDevelop, then please send us whatever information you find in the event logs.
Dec 4, 2013 at 4:50 PM
Hi Zooba,

That was very helpful reply. I do have WIndows 7 & SharpDevelop.

For now I have uninstalled SHarpDevelop & started the solution 3 to 4 times and the crash has stopped.

If it appears again then I would try to remove the native images of IronPython.

Regards & thanks
Kapil