Installing PTVS(2.0) integrated over PTVS (2.0 RC)

Nov 16, 2013 at 6:04 AM
Edited Nov 16, 2013 at 6:04 AM
Hi,

I had earlier installed PTVS 2.0 RC which was with visual studio 2013 RC.
Now I have downloaded PTVS 2.0 which is with visual studio 2013.

What is the process to be followed in this case.
I am getting an error saying the Setup failed
0x81f40001 - Python Tools 2.0 for visual studio (with visual studio 2013) is already installed.
Python tools can be run by launching Visual Studio 2013 from the start menu.

Do I need to uninstall my earlier version. If yes I hop this will not impact my current projects.
Also is there some place where I can check the changes between RC and the actual release.

regards,
Animesh
Coordinator
Nov 16, 2013 at 6:32 AM
Uninstalling VS and PTVS and installing new versions will not impact your projects in any way.

There were no feature changes between RC and RTM, but there were a number of bug fixes. We don't compile detailed changelogs, but you can look at the list of bugs in the tracker that are marked as fixed in 2.0:

https://pytools.codeplex.com/workitem/list/advanced?keyword=&status=Resolved%7cClosed&type=Feature%7cIssue&priority=All&release=2.0&assignedTo=All&component=All&reasonClosed=All&sortField=LastUpdatedDate&sortDirection=Descending&page=0

(this may not be a 100% accurate list, as some earlier bug fixes may be mistakenly marked as 2.0 - we try to keep the Release field of the bugs accurate, but there's always possibility of mistake). Intellisense in particular was improved in many corner cases.

Alternatively, you can look at commit history in the 2.0 branch:

https://pytools.codeplex.com/SourceControl/list/changesets?branch=2.0

2.0 RC corresponds to commit 18aeb9c6d406, so any commits above that one in the list are new to 2.0 RTM. Commit descriptions should be verbose enough in most cases to give an idea of what changed without looking at the diff.
Marked as answer by meanim on 11/16/2013 at 12:15 AM
Nov 16, 2013 at 7:15 AM
Thanks for the quick reply.
I have successfully been able to move to the RTM.
Just for someone else wanting to do the same.
Go to your control panel -> programs and features and uninstall existing PTVS. After this you will be able to install the RTM.
Note that this should uninstall Visual studio (integrated shell) and visual studio (isolated shell). if it does not manually un install them. In my case I uninstalled them before uninstalling PTVS.
RTM will be able to pickup all your settings.
Also no need to restart the machine.

Thanks.