Is it possible to run python tests in Team Foundation Server 2012 Continuous Integration Build-Deploy-Test setup?

Oct 18, 2013 at 3:39 AM
Edited Oct 18, 2013 at 3:40 AM
Similar to this article, does anyone know if its possible to use PyTools and its packaged VS test adapter to run python tests in a Team Foundation Server 2012 Continuous Integration Build environment?

As far as I can tell at this stage it would require some sort of post build/deploy script or a dummy test case to kick of the python tests outside of PyTools etc.

Most of the articles I've read for executing test case as part of TFS CI involve associating "test assemblies" with the project and TFS "test case" items and checking them into source control. There's even a tool tcm.exe which allows you to create "test case items" from "test assemblies" - link. I'm not sure if I can use this approach with python test cases as they aren't really the standard Microsoft test assemblies.
Coordinator
Oct 21, 2013 at 5:31 PM
Yes, a dummy test case sounds like it's probably your best option here.

Unfortunately a lot of the unit test support built into VS and related products is very .NET focused. While there's enough extensibility available that we can hook into some of it, we simply aren't able to do some things and I believe this is one of them.

The good news, however, is that we're working with the responsible team (and so are some other teams suffering from the same limitations), so hopefully we'll see some improvement in upcoming releases.