IPython notebook integration

Sep 23, 2013 at 5:05 PM
This might be a good time to suggest new features for future versions?

One thing that would be great is support for IPython notebooks. What I have in mind is essentially what the Canopy editor provides right now: if you open a ipynb file it opens a tab that shows the normal IPython notebook UI, so you can just do all the nice things within the IDE. Ideally this would connect to the same IPython kernel as the interactive window.

Things that would be nice about this: 1) I could stay within the IDE for all my work, 2) the steps of starting a IPython notebook server and starting it in the right directory would be hidden from me, one could just interact with IPython notebooks as we other normal files as well, 3) integration with the standard open/save file buttons in the IDE etc

I can think of two levels of support for this: a simple one like the editor in canopy has, where I assume they just host a web browser control and have some thin layer around it to integrate with the IDE save/open file infrastructure. A more complex one where maybe in code cells we would get e.g. VS code completion, debugging etc. Not sure this one would be even possible...
Coordinator
Sep 23, 2013 at 5:18 PM
david this is definitely a great idea and we are hoping to do more along these lines.

note that you can already open a browser inside VS as a normal window & run IPython in it. the only issue is that there is no real integration w the rest of the system. ideally we'd like the two world to be linked and just be different "views" on your project & execution context (local or on a cloud). that'd be sweet.

IPython needs websockets so you need to be on >= IE10.
Sep 23, 2013 at 7:01 PM
I think really I am looking for two things:

1) integration with VS file system, so that I double click the file it opens, I save the notebook by clicking save etc. Canopy does that, so there must be some way to get this to work

2) automate (and hide) the whole idea of starting up a IPython notebook server process. Again, Canopy does that already. If I open a file, it starts the server in the background, automatically connects to it etc. I don't even see/know anything about the whole architecture, as an end user it just looks as if I opened the file in the IDE.

I think what you have in mind might be something a bit different... Really all I want is the level of support that you find in the Canopy editor...
Sep 23, 2013 at 7:03 PM
Actually, made this an issue now.