PTVS 2.0 django debug blank command window

Sep 8, 2013 at 9:26 PM
I was going through the tutorial on using PTVS 2.0 to write the Django polls app, but when I got to the part where it asked to run the app I found that F5/CTRL-F5 just resulted in a black command prompt window that did nothing but hang around. I confirmed that if I go to a command prompt and activate the virtual env for my project I can run it with runserver just fine. I also confirmed that reverting back to PTVS 1.5 with VS2012 also results in the project running just fine. I also tried PTVS with the 2013 VS preview shell, and it hung up the same way.

So, it seems there is either something wrong with PTVS 2.0 beta or something that specifically affects just the 2.0 beta in my environment, that does not affect PVTS 1.5.

Any ideas? I'd provide error messages and such, but there is literally nothing to provide.
Sep 9, 2013 at 2:47 PM
Looking at this further it appears to specifically be an issue with running off of virtualenv as they do in the Poll tutorial. Running off of my standard install (with Django installed) appears to run fine, and running off of the virtualenv from a command prompt also runs fine.
Coordinator
Sep 9, 2013 at 4:53 PM
This is a known issue with 2.0 beta that we've resolved for 2.0 RC. I'm not the one pulling the lever, but you should be able to get hold of RC later today...
Sep 9, 2013 at 5:14 PM
I've since tried this on a separate machine, and ran into the same issues - though I have found that it specifically relates to debugging with virtualenv, if I just run without debugging it works fine. Running it from my normal install of python 2.7 debugging works fine.
Sep 9, 2013 at 5:14 PM
Zooba wrote:
This is a known issue with 2.0 beta that we've resolved for 2.0 RC. I'm not the one pulling the lever, but you should be able to get hold of RC later today...
Ahhh, thanks. It took me a while to write my last message, so - disregard I guess :)
Coordinator
Sep 9, 2013 at 5:15 PM
No worries. Thanks for the detailed report - feel free to do the same with any issues you hit in RC :)